Bobby Sylvester’s Quarterback Rankings and Notes (Fantasy Football)
It took long enough, but the vast majority of you reading this are now on board with the late-round quarterback strategy. If you aren’t, please familiarize yourself with the argument as it will assuredly help you over the next few seasons (until SuperFlex leagues become standard). I get into the logic here a bit. In some more competitive leagues, however, this strategy is carried a bit too far, as the top five quarterbacks have plenty of value over replacement. I’m certainly not in the camp of drafting Patrick Mahomes in the 2nd, or even 3rd round, but if Aaron Rodgers drops to the 7th, Matt Ryan to the 8th or Cam Newton to the 9th, I’d be thrilled to pull the trigger. If I can’t land one of them at value, I’d recommend doing one of two things:
- Stream – Pick up the best Week 1 quarterback that you can get late in your draft. Then drop him for the best Week 2 guy. Oddly enough, that happens to be the same player, as Dak Prescott takes on the Giants at home to open the season then travels to Washington for Week 2. In fact, he has an appointment against the lowly Dolphins in Week 3 too. I don’t love Dak for the entire season, but with Ezekiel Elliott potentially holding out for a few games, he should throw plenty of passes against these cupcake defenses.
- Fish for Upside – Last year this was Patrick Mahomes and Jimmy Garoppolo. One of those worked out famously and the other not so much. Even with Jimmy G getting hurt, though, you ended up back where most everyone should be: streaming quarterbacks. If your investment is just a late-round pick, you aren’t losing much if you whiff. If you connect on the hail mary, however, you are a serious championship contender. My favorite upside picks this season are Lamar Jackson and Mitch Trubisky.
Beyond reading notes and looking at rankings, I’d encourage you to take a moment to look at all the tools on our website (that some on Reddit have deemed “cheating”) as they will assuredly give you an upper hand over your league-mates. Our Draft Simulation Software is my personal favorite, followed by customizable cheat sheets, our auction calculator and the expert consensus rankings that most know our site for. Make sure to quickly import your team for free into MyPlaybook, which is like having a team of experts in your war room, and while you’re at it, give my podcast a listen if you’d like. Thanks for visiting FantasyPros; we look forward to helping you win a few fantasy championships this season! Now let’s get onto the rankings.
- Some of my other 2019 Fantasy Football articles
- Cheat Sheet for Family & Friends
- QB Rankings and Notes
- RB Rankings and Notes
- WR Rankings and Notes
- 50 Stats for Draft Day
- Top 10 Sleepers
- Perfect Fantasy Football Mock Draft
- Auction Values
- Overall Rankings
- Dynasty Rookie Rankings
- Cheat Code: Don’t Draft a Kicker
- Cheat Code: How to Maximize D/ST Value
ADP – Average Draft Position