Michael Waterloo’s Quick Cheat Cheat Sheet (2020 Fantasy Baseball)
When I got my writing assignments from my editor for March, I was elated to find that I would be writing a cheat sheet for my friends and family — both real and virtual. I enjoyed Bobby’s version last year, and I thought it would be a great resource to have handy for the new and old friends who seemingly come back in contact with me just in time for their fantasy baseball drafts.
This one’s for you, friends.
My Favorite Targets by Position
J.D. Martinez, Bryce Harper — 2nd round,
Charlie Blackmon — 3rd round,
Nick Castellanos — 8th round,
Michael Brantley — 10th round,
Mark Canha –16th round,
Avisail Garcia — 18th round,
Trent Grisham, Shogo Akiyama — last round.
Nelson Cruz — 7th round.
Luis Castillo — 3rd round,
Charlie Morton — 4th round,
Yu Darvish — 5th round,
Sonny Gray — 7th round,
Zac Gallen — 8th round,
Robbie Ray, Julio Urias Matthew Boyd — 12th round,
Mitch Keller — 20th round,
Brendan McKay, Dylan Cease, Garrett Richards, Josh James, Adrian Houser, Aaron Civale — last round.
My Favorite Targets by Round (based on FantasyPros’ Expert Consensus Rankings)
13th-15th: Zac Gallen, Dinelson Lamet, Kyle Schwarber, David Price, Miguel Sano, Justin Turner, Jesus Luzardo, Max Fried, Matthew Boyd, Robbie Ray, Yasmani Grandal, Julio Urias, Khris Davis, Gavin Lux
16th-18th: Justin Upton, Yasiel Puig, Lance McCullers, Luke Waver, Joe Musgrove, J.D. Davis, Keone Kela, Carlos Martinez, Scott Kingery, Trey Mancini, Alex Verdugo, Brandon Lowe, Avisail Garcia, David Peralta
19th-23rd: Mitch Keller, Brendan McKay, Kolten Wong, Will Smith, Luke Voit, Chris Archer, C.J. Cron, Miguel Andujar, Dylan Bundy, Brian Anderson, Josh James, Gio Urshela, Mark Canha, Garrett Richards, Nick Solak, Aaron Civale, Luis Arraez, Shogo Akiyama, Dylan Cease, Trent Grisham, Carson Kelly, Jonathan Schoop, Austin Hays, Chris Bassitt,
Players I’m Avoiding Near ADP
- Mitch Garver (C – MIN)
- Pete Alonso (1B – NYM)
- Josh Bell (1B – PIT)
- Gleyber Torres (2B/SS – NYY)
- Whit Merrifield (2B/OF – KC)
- Jonathan Villar (2B/SS – MIA)
- Fernando Tatis (SS – SD)
- Adalberto Mondesi (SS – KC)
- Manny Machado (3B/SS – SD)
- Eduardo Escobar (3B/2B – ARI)
- Austin Meadows (OF – TB)
- Tommy Pham (OF – SD)
- Yordan Alvarez (OF/DH – HOU)
- Luis Robert (OF – CHW)
- Danny Santana (1B/2B/3B/SS/OF – TEX)
- Max Scherzer (SP – WAS)
- Mike Soroka (SP – ATL)
- Lance Lynn (SP – TEX)
- Dinelson Lamet (SP – SD)
- German Marquez (SP – COL)
- Kirby Yates (RP – SD)
- Liam Hendriks (RP – OAK)
- Nick Anderson (RP – TB)
- Wait until your last pick to grab your catcher if you miss out on the top four.
- Limit your risk in the early rounds to allow for sexy picks later.
- Don’t chase steals early on by selecting Mondesi or Villar.
- Know your league settings and utilize an auction calculator.
- Mock draft using our mock draft tools.
- Don’t wait too long on second base or first base.
- There is late value at starting pitcher with post-hype guys.
- Grab three of your top-35 starting pitchers.
- Don’t bid players up in auctions and get trapped.
- Draft the guys who you want and enjoy.
- Get Vlad Jr. for his MVP-type season.
- Go into your draft with a plan in pencil, not pen. Be able to adjust with the flow of the draft.
- Pair boring late-round guys (Brian Anderson, Bryan Reynolds, Mark Canha) with risky picks to offset the potential damage in categories.
- OBP is just one category.
- Don’t take Lamet when you can get the same pitcher in Ray rounds later.