FanDuel DFS NBA Strategy Advice: Friday (7/31)
The re-launch of the NBA season was as successful as anyone could have hoped. With the first day out of the way, we now progress onto today’s slate of games — which includes a heavy six-game slate that tips-off at 2:30 p.m. EST. Since it is an all-day slate, make sure to monitor health statuses and to pick players that are certain to play in the late games.
|Ish Smith (WAS)||vs. PHO||$4,400||⭐⭐||LOW|
The Washington Wizards feature two value options at the point guard spot — which should come as no surprise with both John Wall and Bradley Beal sidelined. Both Ish Smith and Shabazz Napier have an opportunity to come in and assert themselves immediately, particularly because the team is lacking any scoring punch whatsoever. Potential rookie of the year Ja Morant is one of the higher-priced options, though he’ll oppose the 27th-ranked defense of the Portland Trail Blazers. The Trail Blazers also rank 11th in pace, while the Memphis Grizzlies rank seventh — this is a game you’ll want some exposure to.
Caris LeVert (BKN)
|Devin Booker (PHO)||@ WAS||$8,000||⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐||MEDIUM|
|Bogdan Bogdanovic (SAC)||@ SA||$5,300||⭐⭐⭐||LOW|
The headliner in this group is Brooklyn Nets shooting guard Caris LeVert. Since returning from an injury, LeVert has been on fire — he’s asserted himself as one of Brooklyn’s best players and most talented scorers. The matchup tonight against the Orlando Magic is a tough one, but the Nets won’t have Kyrie Irving, Kevin Durant, or Spencer Dinwiddie available. The lack of healthy options is also why Garrett Temple makes this list — he offers some cheap exposure and a chance to hit value fairly easily, even if his ceiling isn’t astronomical. Devin Booker has the best matchup of the night against the Washington Wizards, and will likely be a chalky option because of it. The Wizards rank 30th in defensive rating and fifth in pace.
|Mikal Bridges (PHO)||@ WAS||$5,300||⭐⭐⭐⭐||LOW|
|Carmelo Anthony (POR)||vs. MEM||$5,000||⭐⭐⭐⭐||HIGH|
|Joe Harris (BKN)||vs. ORL||$5,300||⭐⭐||HIGH|
Like the rest of his teammates, Mikal Bridges has a dream matchup tonight opposing the Wizards. His price is fair and justifiable, and while he may not chip in a ton offensively, it’s his defensive prowess that carries his potential for big nights. Kyle Anderson and Carmelo Anthony will oppose each other, and both should have a good matchup when doing so. The Grizzlies rank seventh in pace and the Trail Blazers rank 11th — this should be an environment that harbors plenty of scoring opportunities.
Anytime you insert Jaren Jackson Jr. into your lineup, you need to hope for a foul-trouble free night. The young stud can produce in spades, but he maintains a “high risk” status due to his inability to stay on the court. Dario Saric — again, like most of his teammates — is provided with a great matchup and opportunity to collect points. Rui Hachimura is one of the only bright spots for a struggling Wizards team and should have plenty of opportunities to jack up shots with so little talent on their roster. Lastly, Richaun Holmes may be the play of the night. The San Antonio Spurs will be without LaMarcus Aldridge and the Sacramento Kings won’t have Marvin Bagley, either. Expect a lot of run for Holmes, and at such a cheap price, it’s tough to envision a scenario in which he doesn’t reach value.
|P.J. Tucker (HOU)||@ DAL||$3,900||⭐⭐⭐||LOW|
There are a few value options at the center position for today’s slate, but none are more intriguing than Jarrett Allen. It appears DeAndre Jordan will not be suiting up today, which should provide Allen with a ton of run — he’s a fantastic defender and rebounder, and while the matchup isn’t great, his abundant playing time should help pay off his value. Both Jakob Poeltl and Thomas Bryant are cheaper options if you’re looking to pay down at the five-spot tonight, and both guys should hover near value with the extended minutes they’re likely to receive.
5 Studs Worth Their Salary
- Damian Lillard, POR ($8,900): Playing in one of the best matchups of the night, the Trail Blazers are projected to score the fifth-highest amount of points on the slate tonight — surely Lillard will play a big role in that.
- Luka Doncic, DAL ($10,800): Doncic is a superstar in every sense of the word. His matchup against the Houston Rockets is a decent one, as the Rockets play with the fourth-fastest pace in the league.
- Devin Booker, PHO ($8,000): There are plenty of good options to choose at the two-spot tonight, yet Booker may ultimately carry one of the highest ceilings on the slate. His matchup is a dream.
- Ja Morant, MEM ($6,300): Morant won’t command one of the biggest price tags on the slate, but he carries a ton of value in a crucial game for both sides. Expect to see a fast-paced and high-scoring affair between these two teams.
- Caris LeVert, BKN ($8,200): LeVert certainly carries some risk, mostly due to the tough matchup against the Orlando Magic and the lack of star teammates he’s surrounded with, but he should be provided a massive usage rate.
5 Notable Players to Fade
- Giannis Antetokounmpo, MIL ($10,700): The Milwaukee Bucks don’t really have much to play for. While Giannis is in a league of his own, he probably won’t see a ton of run tonight.
- Nikola Vucevic, ORL ($8,300): Vuce is one of the best big men in the league, but I would approach with caution tonight — Jarrett Allen has a ton of defensive ability and could make life very hard for Vuce.
- Jayson Tatum, BOS ($8,500): Tatum is a stud. He’s one of the best scoring threats on the Boston Celtics’ roster, but he could draw a fair amount of Giannis defensively tonight, and the Celtics are only slated to score 106.75 points, currently. The Bucks also rank first in defensive rating in the NBA.
- Russell Westbrook, HOU ($9,800): Westbrook joined the team late due to COVID-19 issues. His price tag carries a lot of weight, though he could also carry some rust due to his late arrival.
- Jonas Valanciunas, MEM ($7,700): JV is one of the best per-minute producers in the league, but he’ll be fairly matched with Jusuf Nurkic finally nursed back to health.
Beyond our daily fantasy basketball content, be sure to check out our Daily Fantasy Basketball Tools. From our Lineup Optimizer – which allows you to build winning DFS lineups in seconds for Cash and GPP contests – to our DFS Cheat Sheets – that helps you get a quick read on the day’s players – we’ve got you covered this fantasy basketball season.