DraftKings DFS MLB Strategy Advice: Tuesday (8/11)
Tuesday is a busy featured slate with 12 games in action and 24 teams to choose from. With no shortage of choices at our disposal, we are looking at value plays, studs, and fades for tonight. Okay, let’s dive in and find some winners.
If you have any questions, reach out to me on Twitter @RyanWhitfieldNE.
|Kyle Freeland (COL)||vs. ARI||$7,000||⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐||Medium|
|Marco Gonzales (SEA)||@ TEX||$6,600||⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐||Low|
|Martin Perez (BOS)||vs. TB||$6,100||⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐||High|
Kyle Freeland has had a strong start to 2020 and he faces an ideal matchup tonight. He comes in with a 2.41 ERA, 2-and-0 record, and is averaging 16.7 FPPG. Tonight he faces the Arizona Diamondbacks who are 24th in team batting average and have the fourth-worst runs per game this season.
Just like Freeland, Marco Gonzales faces a very favorable matchup tonight. The Rangers are 26th in runs scored per game and are ranked 27th in team batting average as they are hitting a lowly .209 as a team. On Gonzales’ end, he has a 3.06 ERA, a 0.74 WHIP, has held opposing hitters to a .169 batting average, and is averaging 19.3 FPPG. On top of all of that, he is behind 16 other pitchers in terms of price on DraftKings tonight.
Last night I recommended Colten Brewer because of the matchup against the Rays and that wasn’t exactly a hit. Understand that at this point taking any Red Sox pitcher is a risky proposition. That said, the Tampa Bay Rays are still one of the worst offenses in the league and Perez has averaged 13.4 FPPG after two straight good starts.
|Austin Nola (SEA)||@ TEX||$3,700||⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐||Medium|
|Mitch Moreland (BOS)||vs. TB||$4,500||⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐||Medium|
Austin Nola is having a good season and value catchers are hard to find. He’s currently hitting .324, has driven in seven and is averaging 7.5 FPPG. Tonight he will face off against Mike Minor who has struggled with a 6.89 ERA and a 1.34 WHIP and has fared even worse against right-handed hitters. I wrote about Moreland last night and then he ended up sitting, but I still love his as a value play if he plays tonight. He’s hitting .323, averaging 11.6 FPPG, and he’s facing Anthony Banda and his 6.75 ERA.
|Hanser Alberto (BAL)||@ PHI||$4,000||⭐⭐⭐⭐||Medium|
|Brandon Lowe (TB)||@ BOS||$4,300||⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐||Medium|
Hanser Alberto is on a three-game hitting streak, is averaging 9.2 FPPG, is batting .333 on the year, and will face Zack Wheeler who enters tonight with a 1.15 WHIP. I wrote about Brandon Lowe yesterday and then he went just 1-for-6 last night with five fantasy points. He is no sure thing, but he is now averaging 8.4 FPPG and while I like Martin Perez as a potential value play, taking individuals against the Red Sox staff isn’t a bad idea.
|Gio Urshela (NYY)||vs. ATL||$4,800||⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐||Medium|
|Kyle Seager (SEA)||@ TEX||$4,500||⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐||Medium|
|Renato Nunez (BAL)||@ PHI||$4,100||⭐⭐⭐⭐||Low|
Gio Urshela is batting .313, has driven in 13, and is averaging 9.3 FPPG this season. Tonight he faces Touki Toussaint who has an ERA of 9.45 against right-handed batters. Over his last seven games, Kyle Seager has had two-hit games three times and gone hitless four times. In that same stretch, he posted three sub-five-point fantasy performances but 3 10-plus games, two of which were 20-plus. So, he has been a bit boom or bust lately but he faces a nice matchup in Mike Minor tonight. Renato Nunez had five home runs, 11 RBI, an OPS of 1.027, and is averaging 10.7 FPPG.
|Dansby Swanson (ATL)||@ NYY||$4,700||⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐||Medium|
|Xander Bogaerts (BOS)||vs. TB||$4,600||⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐||Low|
Dansby Swanson is batting .273, has driven in 13, and is averaging 8.6 FPPG. Tonight, he faces Jordan Montgomery who has a staggering 1.80 WHIP against right-handed batters. Bogaerts has recorded a hit in eight of his last 10 games and is averaging 9.1 FPPG. He has an ideal matchup tonight and there are eight shortstops priced ahead of him.
|Juan Soto (WAS)||@ NYM||$5,200||⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐||Medium|
|Max Kepler (MIN)||@ MIL||$4,800||⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐||Medium|
|Michael Brantley (HOU)||vs. SF||$4,500||⭐⭐⭐⭐||Medium|
|Marcell Ozuna (ATL)||@ NYY||$4,400||⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐||High|
|Brandon Lowe (TB)||@ BOS||$4,300||⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐||Medium|
Juan Soto has gone 7-for-15 this season with a 1.500 OPS and faces Rick Porcello and his 6.92 ERA and 1.77 WHIP. Max Kepler is averaging 9.7 FPPG and he has an OPS of 1.063 against righties. He will face Milwaukee’s Josh Lindblom tonight who is rightie and struggles more against left-handed batters. Brantley is slashing .308/.390/.481 this season and is averaging 8.5 FPPG. This play is not without risk as his matchup tonight is against Shaun Anderson who is not having a great season but has held left-handed batters to a batting average of .143. Marcell Ozuna is higher-risk play as he is batting just .262 on the season with an OPS of .845. That said, he is averaging 7.5 FPPG, he is very budget-friendly, and as we noted earlier, Jordan Montgomery really struggles against right-handed batters. For the second day in a row, I am taking advantage of Lowe’s 2B/OF designation as he faces off against that Red Sox Rotation.
5 Studs Worth Their Salary
- Aaron Judge, NYY ($6,300): Judge has been held hitless in just five games, has an OPS of 1.045, and is averaging 11.6 FPPG.
- Charlie Blackmon, COL ($6,000): Charlie Blackmon is 14 for his last 19 and is averaging 12.8 FPPG this season. Tonight he’ll face Zac Gallen who has a 1.14 WHIP against lefties.
- Trevor Story, COL ($6,100): Story lengthened out his hitting streak to three games yesterday and is averaging 10.7 FPPG in 2020.
- Donovan Solano, SF ($5,300): Donovan Solano is now six for his last 12 and is averaging 10.0 FPPG this season.
- Dylan Bundy, LAA (9,700): Bundy has 2.08 ERA, a 0.60 WHIP, is averaging 30.1 FPPG, and is facing the Oakland Athletics who are 25th in the league in batting average.
5 Notable Players to Fade
- Mike Yastrzemski, SF ($5,900): While Yastrzemski has been great in 2020, he will face Brandon Bielak tonight who has a sub-two ERA against lefties and has held them to a batting average of .158.
- Jose Altuve, HOU ($5,400): Altuve has just three multi-hit games this season while remaining the second most expensive second baseman on DraftKings tonight.
- Max Muncy, LAD ($5,500): Muncy is the most expensive option at first base tonight and is hitting just .182 with four home runs and five RBI and is averaging 6.9 FPPG.
- Mike Minor, TEX ($9,600): Mike Minor has a 6.89 ERA, a 1.34 WHIP, and is averaging less 10 FPPG this year.
- Mitch Garver, MIN ($5,000): Garver is the second most expensive catcher tonight and is batting just .094 on the season.