DraftKings DFS MLB Strategy: Tuesday (8/4)
It’s Tuesday, and we are back with more DraftKings DFS MLB Strategy to help you optimize your lineups. Today’s featured slate is bigger than Mondays was as we have 10 games in action giving us four more rosters to choose from. At this point, there are only two postponed games, but with COVID, that can change in an instant. Make sure to be checking both players and games ahead of first pitch. Okay, enough preamble, it’s time to dive in.
As always, if you have any questions, reach out to me on Twitter @RyanWhitfieldNE.
|Brady Singer (KC)||@ CHC||$6,900||⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐||Medium|
|German Marquez (COL)||vs. SF||$8,100||⭐⭐⭐||Medium|
|Kyle Hendricks (CHC)||vs. KC||$7,700||⭐⭐⭐⭐||Medium|
Brady Singer has had himself a nice start to 2020 with two no-decisions, a 3.60 ERA, a 1.20 WHIP, and holding opposing teams to a .222 batting average. Those aren’t ace numbers and he has gone just 5 innings in both starts, but the 23-year-old has fared well thus far. He will face a Cubs lineup that is collectively hitting just .239 and he is priced behind 14 other pitchers.
The Giants have a top-10 offense, so this isn’t a perfect matchup for Marquez. However, he is red hot to start this season with a 1.54 ERA and a 0.86 WHIP (both better than his career totals). While the matchup is tough, and Marquez will most likely level back out, he’s only the seventh most expensive pitcher tonight. I’ll take the risk and ride the hot hand at this price right now.
The Royals are 11th in the league in team batting average but are just notching four runs per game. Hendricks has posted two wildly different starts with a nine strikeout shutout on Opening Day followed up by a six earned runs in 4 and 1/3 inning outing. We don’t know exactly which Hendricks we will see tonight, but he is just the tenth most expensive pitcher and has a fair matchup.
|Travis d’Arnaud (ATL)||vs. TOR||$4,300||⭐⭐⭐||High|
|Daniel Murphy (COL)||vs. SF||$4,500||⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐||Low|
|Renato Nunez (BAL)||vs. MIA||$4,000||⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐||Low|
Atlanta is limiting d’Arnaud as he makes his way back from an injury, but he just had a day off on Saturday so he should be good to go tonight. He added his first homer last night and is now batting .400 on the year with seven RBI. Matt Shoemaker will be a formidable opponent, but with d’Arnaud being just the seventh most expensive option at catcher he’s worth the risk. I wrote about Daniel Murphy yesterday and he went 1-for-4 with an RBI, and he has a great matchup tonight against Kevin Gausman. Renato Nunez has averaged 18.33 FPPG over his last three games and he faces a nice matchup against Caleb Smith.
|Donovan Solano (SF)||@ COL||$4,900||⭐⭐⭐||Medium|
|Hanser Alberto (BAL)||vs. MIA||$3,600||⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐||Low|
Solano is slashing .457/.474/.657 and has driven in 13 runs. It’s not a super-ideal matchup but there are five second basemen priced higher. I’m taking the Orioles matchup against Caleb Smith here again and Hanser Alberto is slashing .429/.459/.686. On top of that, there are 27 second baseman priced higher than him.
|Donovan Solano (SF)||@ COL||$4,900||⭐⭐⭐||Medium|
|Evan Longoria (SF)||@ COL||$4,600||⭐⭐⭐||Medium|
|Brian Anderson (MIA)||@ BAL||$4,400||⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐||Low|
If you opted to go elsewhere with your second base selection, Solano makes sense at third base too given his 2B/3B designation. Despite going 0-for-4 last night, Longoria is still batting .333 and is at an affordable cost. Anderson has recorded a hit in all three games this year, is a very cheap option, and faces John Means and his 19.29 ERA.
|Corey Seager (LAD)||@ SD||$4,600||⭐⭐⭐⭐||Low|
|Bo Bichette (TOR)||@ ATL||$4,500||⭐⭐||Medium|
Corey Seager has a six-game hitting streak, has a three-game multi-hit streak, and is averaging over 11 FPPG. He faces off against Dinelson Lamet who has limited run damage with a 1.80 ERA but has a 1.40 WHIP. Max Fried does not present a great matchup and Bo Bichette has been a hit or miss player this season. That said, he’s batting .286 and he is only the ninth most expensive shortstop tonight.
|Tommy Pham (SD)||vs. LAD||$5,000||⭐⭐⭐⭐||Medium|
|Joey Gallo (TEX)||@ OAK||$4,800||⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐||Low|
|Marcell Ozuna (ATL)||vs. TOR||$4,700||⭐⭐⭐||Medium|
|Trent Grisham (SD)||vs. LAD||$4,300||⭐⭐⭐⭐||Medium|
|Luis Robert (CWS)||@ MIL||$4,100||⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐||Low|
Tommy Pham’s five-game hit streak ended last night, but his season-long success and price point make him a good value candidate. Gallo is slashing .310/.429/.724 and has an ideal matchup against Jesus Luzardo. Ozuna has only been held hitless twice this season but faces a tough matchup against Matt Shoemaker. In the end, the price and his consistency are worth the play.
Dustin May has appeared in just 16 games in the majors and has a 3.40 ERA and a 1.18 WHIP which makes for a winnable matchup for Trent Grisham. For his part, Grisham is hitting .293 with four home runs and seven RBI. Luis Robert is batting .350 and averaging 10.2 FPPG and faces a very desirable matchup against Lucas Giolito.
5 Studs Worth Their Salary
- Lance Lynn (TEX) $9,900: Lynn has posted a 0.00 ERA with a 0.75 WHIP and will face an Athletics lineup with the second-worst batting average in baseball,
- Keston Hiura (MIL) $5,400: Hiura is averaging 9.2 FPPG and is on a four-game hitting streak.
- Trevor Story (COL) $5,700: With a 1.147 OPS and a 12.8 FPPG, Trevor Story remains worth his lofty price.
- Fernando Tatis Jr. (SD) $5,200: Tatis is averaging 12.5 FPPG and faces a good matchup tonight.
- Mike Yastrzemski (SF) $5,900: The matchup is tough, but his .333 batting average, 1.183 OPS, and 12.4 FPPG continue to make him worth every dollar.
5 Notable Players to Fade
- Lucas Giolito (CWS) $9,100: Lucas Giolito has 6.52 ERA and is the fourth most expensive pitcher tonight.
- Anthony Rizzo (CHC) $5,400: Rizzo is batting just .219 and is averaging less than 10 FPPG. That’s not enough production for a guy who is priced higher than any other first baseman.
- Ketel Marte (ARI) $5,500: Ketel Marte’s stat line isn’t terrible but he’s really only had three quality fantasy performances this year and is averaging 6.5 FPPG.
- Nolan Arenado (COL) $5,300: Arenado has only one multi-hit game this season and is averaging 5.7 FPPG.
- Mookie Betts (LAD) $6,000: Mookie is listed as day-to-day right now, but given the issues with his finger affecting his batting, even if he plays tonight I would stay away at this price tag.