DraftKings DFS MLB Strategy Advice: Tuesday (9/22)
In what is one of the most unusual seasons in the history of America’s past time, we are now rounding out the final several games of the regular season. For DFS players, your 2020 MLB window is closing, so we have just a few more opportunities to cash in and make some money. Tonight’s featured slate is a good-sized one with 11 games on the docket. Let’s look at our values, studs, and fades so we can set some winning lineups.
If you have any questions, reach out to me on Twitter, @RyanWhitfieldNE.
|Brady Singer (KC)||vs. STL||$6,900||⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐||Medium|
|Drew Smyly (COL)||@ SF||$7,600||⭐⭐⭐⭐||Medium|
Brady singer has not allowed an earned run over his last two outings. In those two games, he surrendered three hits, three walks, and struck out 16 in 14 innings pitched. He’s averaging 14.9 FPPG and has posted 30-plus in his last two games. Tonight he faces the Cardinals who are 21st in team batting average and 23rd in runs per game.
The Rockies are a top half of the league offense so this isn’t the perfect matchup for him. That aside, he’s put up three straight 15-plus point fantasy performances thanks in large part to averaging seven strikeouts per game in that stretch. He does have a sub-four ERA, is averaging 12.9 FPPG, and is behind seven other pitchers in terms of price tonight.
|Martin Maldonado (HOU)||@ SEA||$4,100||⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐||High|
|Christian Vazquez (BOS)||vs. BAL||$4,400||⭐⭐⭐⭐||Medium|
Maldonado is no sure thing with his .219 average and 5.9 FPPG. While he struggles against right-handed pitchers, Ljay Newsome and his 6.35 ERA and 1.50 WHIP provides him with a chance to return some value from a tough position. Vazquez has hit .275 this season and is averaging 6.9 FPPG. He’ll face Keegan Akin tonight who has been fine this year though he has fared worse against right-handed batters and Vazquez has done the majority of his power hitting against lefties.
|Hanser Alberto (BAL)||@ BOS||$3,800||⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐||Medium|
|Donovan Solano (SF)||vs. COL||$3,900||⭐⭐⭐⭐||Medium|
Hanser Alberto has cooled off over his last 15 games but has hit in three of his last four. Tonight he gets to face Nick Pivetta and his 15.88 ERA and he is behind 18 other second baseman tonight. Solano is batting .341, is averaging 7.5 FPPG, and is facing Kyle Freeland who has a 1.32 WHIP.
|Justin Turner (LAD)||vs. OAK||$5,000||⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐||Low|
|Josh Donaldson (MIN)||vs. DET||$4,100||⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐||Medium|
|Ke’Bryan Hayes (PIT)||vs. CHC||$3,600||⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐||Low|
Justin Turner is batting .296 on the season, has three multi-hit games in his last five, and he will take on Frankie Montas and his 5.86 ERA and 1.53 WHIP. Josh Donaldson hasn’t had a great season but he is on a four-game hitting streak, and he has had three double-digit fantasy performances in that time. He’ll face Tarik Skubal tonight who is making just his seventh career big league start. Skubal enters the contest with a 6.17 ERA and a 1.29 WHIP. Hayes is batting .323, has hit in nine of his last 11, and has a favorable matchup against Jose Quintana.
|Dansby Swanson (ATL)||vs. MIA||$5,200||⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐||Medium|
|Miguel Rojas (ATL)||@ ATL||$4,500||⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐||Low|
Swanson has struggled as of late, but he is still averaging 8.6 FPPG and showed what he can produce like back in July. I like this matchup for the Braves hitters tonight against Jose Urena, and he has hit .289 against right-handed pitchers this season. Miguel Rojas is slashing .343/.439/.562 on the season and faces a great matchup against Bryse Wilson.
|Nelson Cruz (MIN)||vs. DET||$5,400||⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐||Low|
|Wil Myers (SD)||vs. LAA||$5,100||⭐⭐⭐⭐||Low|
|Marcell Ozuna (ATL)||vs. MIA||$5,000||⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐||Low|
|George Springer (HOU)||@ SEA||$4,700||⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐||Medium|
|Eddie Rosario (MIN)||vs. DET||$4,200||⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐||High|
Nelson Cruz is still day-to-day so this one will require monitoring until a decision is made. That said, if Cruz and his 1.026 OPS get the opportunity to play against Skubal tonight, you’ll want to consider putting him in your lineup. Myers is batting .298 with 14 home runs and 38 RBI this season while averaging 9.7 FPPG. Canning is a good matchup and while Myers has performed better against lefties he has still hit righties well this season. I am bullish on the Braves hitters tonight and that includes Ozuna. For his part, he’s batting .316 with 15 home runs and 48 RBI and is behind 10 guys in price tonight. Springer has been heating up over his last seven games slashing .321/.345/.857 and he faces a favorable matchup. I have mentioned the Skubal matchup for Twins hitters multiple times and here I am doing so again. Rosario is a deeper value play with more bust potential, but he’s been good over his last 15 games slashing .281/.339/.526.
5 Studs Worth Their Salary
- Framber Valdez, (HOU) $9,700: Valdez has a 3.82 ERA, a 1.16 WHIP, and 19.4 FPPG. Tonight he faces the Mariners who are bottom seven in the league in both runs per game and team batting average. Valdez posted 20.7 fantasy points in his only matchup against Seattle this season.
- Dustin May, (LAD) $9,300: May has a 2.68 ERA, 1.09 WHIP, is averaging 11.9 FPPG, and faces Oakland and their .226 team batting average.
- Travis d’Arnaud, (ATL) $4,800: Catcher is a tough position and d’Arnaud is batting .336 with nine home runs and 34 home RBI. Tonight he looks to extend his six-game hitting streak in an ideal matchup against Jose Urena.
- Freddie Freeman, (ATL) $5,400: Looking at this same matchup, Freeman is worth his salary tonight. He remains worth a play most nights as he is slashing .340/.460/.624 on the year.
- Manny Machado, (SD) $5,700: Machado just had his ten-game hitting streak snapped but he’s had a great year and faces a favorable matchup against Griffin Canning.
5 Notable Players to Fade
- Blake Snell, (TB) $9,500: Snell is the third-highest priced pitcher, faces a tough Mets lineup, his road ERA is worse, and he’s allowed three times as many home runs on the road this season.
- Matt Olson, (OAK) $5,100: Olson is batting .196, has gone 10 straight games without a multi-hit game and faces a tough matchup against Dustin May.
- David Fletcher, (LAA) $5,400: Fletcher is the second most expensive second baseman tonight, he has a difficult matchup against Zach Davies, and he has been worse against righties this year.
- Javier Baez, (CHC) $5,300: Brault doesn’t make for the most difficult matchup but Baez is batting just .226 over his last 15 with just one home run and has only produced four double-digit fantasy performances in that time.
- Mike Trout, (LAA) $5,900: Like Fletcher, Trout draws a tough matchup tonight. Additionally, despite being on a seven-game hitting streak, he has not had a multi-hit game in his last nine and has only put up double-digit fantasy points once in that stretch.
Beyond our daily fantasy baseball content, be sure to check out our Daily Fantasy Baseball Tools. From our Lineup Optimizer – which allows you to build winning DFS lineups in seconds for Cash and GPP contests – to our DFS Cheat Sheets – that helps you get a quick read on the day’s players – we’ve got you covered this fantasy baseball season.