FanDuel NBA DFS Strategy Advice: Friday (5/7)
Welcome to a Friday ten-game NBA DFS slate. I hope that everyone has had a winning week and that we can go into the weekend making some more money. With 20 different teams to choose from on this slate, make sure the lineup you end up with is one you absolutely love.
There is a lot of solid value, and I really like a lot of players from the Rockets vs. Bucks game, depending on injury news and the players from Philadelphia and Miami. Let’s get to my favorite value plays of the day.
Most Value Per Dollar
Below is a list of the top players of the day expected to generate the most value relative to their salary.
Armoni Brooks (SG – HOU) $3,800
With nearly all of the starters out for Houston, someone has to step up and play. I expect Brooks to be one of those guys, as he tallied 30 minutes last time out and should start again tonight. The Rockets guard has played this season at a 0.62 FPPM clip but should see a serious bump in usage with the lack of other options on the court. Last time out, he tallied 25 FanDuel points, and I can easily see a repeat performance tonight.
DaQuan Jeffries (SF – HOU) $4,100
For another Houston Rockets player, we have DaQuan Jeffries, who I expect to earn another start tonight. In the last start, he was quite inefficient but still managed nearly 21 fantasy points. Of late, Jeffries has been playing at a 0.65 FPPM clip, and in a pace-up spot against the Bucks, I could easily see him reaching 6X value.
Andre Iguodala (SF – MIA) $3,500
Now watch injury news because if Jimmy Butler returns from his illness, Iguodala isn’t nearly as great of a play. If Butler remains out, however, the Heat small forward is in a smash spot. In his start against the Mavericks, he really let fantasy owners down, so I don’t expect his ownership to be high at all. But the Timberwolves offer a juicy matchup with their up-tempo play, and there is a fair chance of a blowout, so Iguodala should see more floor time, one way or another.
Kendrick Nunn (PG – MIA) $5,200
Nuun should start this game, and his usage rate has been right at or above 20% in five of his last six games. Even if Butler is in, I still see Nunn as a fine play, but especially if Butler is out, there will be a bump in usage for everyone involved, Nuun included. As mentioned before, the Timberwolves are a wonderful team to play against not only in real life but from a fantasy perspective as well.
Marcus Smart (SG – BOS) $6,200
For a bit pricier yet valuable player tonight, we have Marcus Smart. I see this as one of the riskier plays on the night, respectively, so I would keep Smart in your GPP lineups only. Facing the Bulls is always a good thing for opposing offenses, and Smart has played big minutes of late. He’s been a 0.92 FPPM guy in his last ten games, and I expect him to play north of 35 minutes tonight.
Bismack Biyombo (C – CHA) $3,800
If you’re looking for a spend-down option at center, Biyombo is your guy. At his price tag, I expect Biyombo to return the best value at the center position. He should be starting, and I see him reaching at least 20 minutes. As a 0.86 FPPM guy this season, I absolutely see the Hornets guard reaching 5X and beyond.
Elfrid Payton (PG – NY) $3,600
With Alec Burks and Immanuel Quickley doubtful for tonight, Payton finds himself in an awesome spot to produce, even in a tougher matchup against the Suns. He should split time with Derrick Rose, but Payton should see the floor more and is a better value. That Phoenix matchup should scare some people off owning him, so he should be a solid leverage pick as well.
Kenyon Martin (PF – HOU) $5,600
For the same reasons I like the other Rockets players, I like Martin. But seriously, remember to watch injury news because the value of these players can vanish into thin air if everyone returns.
Bobby Portis (PF – MIL) $5,400
On the other side of the ball, I am playing the game of “who gets playing time when this becomes a blowout.” Your winner – Bobby Portis. I like the Bucks forward in GPP lineups only because the minutes boost I hope he gets is nowhere near guaranteed. He can post 40 FanDuel points, and the ceiling is what I am chasing for him tonight.
Studs Worth Their Salary
- Nikola Jokic (DEN) $11,200: I’m not gonna spend too much time on this. Just play The Joker in your cash lineups. He should be the highest scorer on the slate.
- Luka Doncic (PG): $10,900: The Cavaliers offer a surprisingly healthy fantasy matchup, and I expect Luka will be ready to eat. Doncic showed what he could do earlier this month against the Wizards, and I see him reaching north of 50 FanDuel points tonight.
- Giannis Antetokounmpo (MIL): $11,400: There is some blowout risk, but if Milwaukee is ahead, someone has to be doing the scoring. I really expect Giannis to do whatever he wants this game, and with the amount of value on the slate, you should be able to find room in your lineup for him.
Notable Players to Fade
- Jayson Tatum (BOS) $10,100: I understand Tatum is a phenomenal basketball player, but his price is inflated still from his performance at the end of April. He is too up and down for me to risk spending five figures on him.
- Chris Paul (PHO) $8,400: The Knicks represent one of the harder teams in the league to go up against from a fantasy standpoint, and CPIII is at too high of a price to really find any value from. There are plenty of other options at point guard tonight. Go with them instead.
Beyond our daily fantasy basketball content, be sure to check out our Daily Fantasy Basketball Tools. From our Lineup Optimizer – which allows you to build winning DFS lineups in seconds for Cash and GPP contests – to our DFS Cheat Sheets – that helps you get a quick read on the day’s players – we’ve got you covered this fantasy basketball season.
Ryan Coleman is a featured writer at FantasyPros. For more from Ryan, check out his archive and follow him @ryancoleman_98.