Fantasy Baseball Daily Opener: Aaron Judge, Fernando Tatis Jr., Freddy Peralta (5/24)
Greetings, friends. We’re back for another baseball season. More importantly, we have a fun new series this year.
Welcome to the Daily Opener.
Every morning, I’ll be with you to recap the previous day of baseball and talk about what stood out to me. We’ll find fun stats. We’ll lament some injuries. We’ll take a peek at the day ahead. And we’ll have a few laughs.
Have questions or just want to talk baseball? Feel free to reach out on Twitter @mikeMaher with questions or feedback anytime.
- NYY: Aaron Judge homers twice in losing cause
- STL: Paul Goldschmidt hits walk-off slam in 10th against Blue Jays
- SEA: Julio Rodriguez blasts three-run homer in victory over A’s
- NYM: Pete Alonso homers, drives in three in rout of Giants
- CLE: Triston McKenzie holds Astros to run over seven in win
- CLE: Jose Ramirez homers, drives in four, steals base in win
- MLW: Hunter Renfroe (hamstring) to undergo MRI on Tues.
Shohei Ohtani is still the favorite at +250.
Through the first quarter of the season, Judge is winning his $$$ showdown with the Yankees.
— mike Maher. (@mikeMaher) May 24, 2022
Rub Some Dirt On It (Injuries)
- MLW: Freddy Peralta (shoulder) heading to 15-day IL Manager Craig Counsell told media that Peralta would miss a “significant” amount of time with his right shoulder injury. Peralta was placed on the 15-day IL on Monday after exiting his start on Sunday.
- COL: Kris Bryant (back) to be re-evaluated Tuesday
- SDP: Fernando Tatis Jr. underwent imaging on his fractured left wrist on Monday. If they come back clean, he could begin swinging immediately and allow the Padres to set a timetable for his return.
- SDP: Mike Clevinger was placed on the 15-day IL on Sunday with a right triceps strain. He had made just three starts this season after working his way back from 2020 Tommy John surgery.
Studs and Duds
Here are some of the best and worst performances from yesterday.
- Tyler Anderson – 8.0 IP, 0 ER, 5 H, 0 BB, 8 K
- Triston McKenzie – 7.0 IP, 1 ER, 3 H, 1 BB, 3 K
- JT Brubaker – 6.2 IP, 0 ER, 5 H, 2 BB, 4 K
- Adrian Houser – 6.0 IP, 1 ER, 3 H, 2 BB, 4 K
- David Peterson – 6.0 IP, 2 ER, 3 H, 1 BB, 6 K
- Zack Wheeler – 6.2 IP, 2 ER, 8 H, 0 BB, 10 K
- Aaron Judge – 2-3, 2 HR, 3 RBI, 2 R
- Aristides Aquino – 2-4, 2 HR, 3 RBI, 2 R
- Ian Happ – 2-3, 1 HR, 4 RBI, 2 R
- Pete Alonso – 3-5, 1 HR, 3 RBI, 2 R
- J.D. Davis – 4-5, 2 RBI, 2 R
- Jose Ramirez – 2-5, 1 HR, 4 RBI, 1 R, 1 SB
- Jeff McNeil – 2-4, 1 HR, 2 RBI, 3 R, 1 SB
- Max Kepler – 1-3, 1 HR, 4 RBI, 2 R
- Pavin Smith – 1-3, 1 HR, 2 RBI, 3 R
- Jonathan Schoop – 2-for-5, 1 HR, 2 R
- Whit Merrifield – 2-for-5, 1 HR, 2 R, 1 SB
- Zack Greinke – 3.2 IP, 7 ER, 5 H, 4 BB, 5 K
- Alex Cobb – 6 IP, 6 ER, 10 H, 0 BB, 7 K
- Marco Gonzales – 5.1 IP, 5 ER, 8 H, 0 BB, 3 K
- Tucker Davidson – 2.2 IP, 5 ER, 4 H, 4 BB, 2 K
- Ronald Acuna Jr. – 0-for-5, 2 K
- Bo Bichette – 0-for-5, 1 K
- Nick Castellanos – 0-for-5, 1 K
- Robbie Grossman – 0-for-5, 1 K
- Teoscar Hernandez – 0-for-5, 1 K
- Sheldon Neuse – 0-for-5, 1 K
- Kolten Wong – 0-for-5, 1 K
From the News Desk
We have an incredible news desk at FantasyPros. Seriously, they crush it. If you don’t already, you should sync your teams with My Playbook and check out the Fantasy News and Scores app for updates about your players.
- Freddy Peralta to miss ‘significant amount of time’ due to injury
- Hunter Renfroe leaves Monday’s game with hamstring discomfort
- Austin Slater (wrist) placed on the injured list
- Josh Hader placed on the family medical emergency list
- Kyle Lewis hopes to return to the Mariners Tuesday
- Kris Bryant scratched from Monday’s lineup due to back soreness
- Max Stassi reinstated from COVID-IL
- Josh Donaldson suspended one game
- Willson Contreras (right hamstring) remains out of the lineup
- Dylan Carlson (hamstring) placed on 10-day IL
- Steven Matz (shoulder impingement) placed on 15-day IL
- Tyler Mahle activated from the restricted list on Monday
- Chad Green to undergo Tommy John surgery
Here is every player who hit a home run yesterday:
Aaron Judge (x2)
Aristides Aquino (x2)
Here is every player who stole a base yesterday:
Arm Barn Report
Here is every player who recorded a save yesterday:
Today’s Starting Lineup
- No early games, and the national game today is Brewers vs. Padres on TVS featuring Corbin Burnes vs. Blake Snell.
- The late game tonight features a pretty good pitching matchup in Chris Bassitt vs. Logan Webb in a 9:45 p.m. ET game between the Mets and Giants.
Matchups to Watch
- Matt Olson (ATL) vs. Kyle Gibson (PHI): 18 PA, .500/.556/1.125, 3 HR
- J.T. Realmuto (PHI) vs. Max Fried (ATL): 28 PA, .385/.393/.885, 3 HR
- Corey Seager (TEX) vs. Noah Syndergaard (LAA): 14 PA, .571/.571/.929, 1 HR
- Aaron Judge (NYY) vs. Bruce Zimmermann (BAL): 14 PA, .455/.571/1.000, 2 HR
- Bryce Harper (PHI) vs. Max Fried (ATL): 24 PA, .350/.458/.700, 2 HR
*matchup information courtesy of Baseball-Reference.
Beyond our fantasy baseball content, be sure to check out our award-winning slate of Fantasy Baseball Tools as you prepare for your draft this season. From our free mock Draft Simulator – which allows you to mock draft against realistic opponents – to our Draft Assistant – that optimizes your picks with expert advice – we’ve got you covered this fantasy baseball draft season.
Mike Maher is an editor and content manager at FantasyPros and BettingPros. For more from Mike, check out his archive, follow him on Twitter @MikeMaher, and visit his Philadelphia Eagles blog, The Birds Blitz.