Fantasy Baseball Daily Opener: Trevor Story, Max Scherzer, Nolan Gorman (5/20)
Greetings, friends. We’re back for another baseball season. More importantly, we have a fun new series this year.
Welcome to the Daily Opener.
Every morning, I’ll be with you to recap the previous day of baseball and talk about what stood out to me. We’ll find fun stats. We’ll lament some injuries. We’ll take a peek at the day ahead. And we’ll have a few laughs.
Have questions or just want to talk baseball? Feel free to reach out on Twitter @mikeMaher with questions or feedback anytime.
- NYM: Max Scherzer out for 6-8 weeks with an oblique injury
- BOS: Trevor Story hits 3 HR, 7 RBI, 1 SB
- First second baseman in MLB history with 3 HR and a SB in the same game
- HOU: Framber Valdez whiffs seven in win over Rangers
- ARZ: Zac Gallen completes five frames in win over Cubs
- BOS: Trevor Story crushes three homers versus Mariners
- SEA: Julio Rodriguez has three hits, homer in M’s loss
- MLB: Rangers release veteran infielder Matt Carpenter
— FantasyPros (@FantasyProsMLB) May 20, 2022
Rub Some Dirt On It (Injuries)
- STL: Tyler O’Neill (shoulder) officially heads to 15-day IL
- TB: Shane Baz (elbow) strikes out five over 2 1/3 in rehab
Studs and Duds
Here are some of the best and worst performances from yesterday.
- Yu Darvish – 7.0 IP, 0 ER, 6 H, 0 BB, 5 K
- Cal Quantrill – 7.0 IP, 1 ER, 5 H, 0 BB, 5 K
- Tyler Mahle – 6.1 IP, 1 ER, 2 H, 2 BB, 4 K
- Framber Valdez – 7.0 IP, 1 ER, 6 H, 2 BB, 7 K
- Zac Gallen – 5.0 IP, 1 ER, 2 H, 3 BB, 4 K
- Trevor Story – 4-for-4, 3 HR, 7 RBI, 5 R, 1 SB
- Anthony Santander – 3-for-4, 1 HR, 3 RBI, 3 R
- Paul Goldschmidt – 3-for-4, 1 HR, 4 RBI, 1 R
- Luis Robert – 3-for-4, 1 HR, 4 RBI, 1 R
- Pete Alonso – 3-for-4, 1 HR, 3 RBI, 1 R, 1 SB
- Tim Anderson – 2-for-3, 2 RBI, 1 R, 2 SB
- Hunter Dozier – 3-for-4, 1 HR, 3 RBI, 1 R
- Giancarlo Stanton – 2-for-3, 1 HR, 3 RBI, 1 R
- Dylan Moore – 1-for-2, 1 HR, 4 RBI, 1 R
- J.D. Martinez – 4-for-5, 3 R
- Bruce Zimmermann – 5 IP, 5 ER, 7 H, 1 BB, 2 K
- George Kirby – 5 IP, 5 ER, 8 H, 1 BB, 3 K
- Dakota Hudson – 4.2 IP, 4 ER, 5 H, 2 BB, 2 K
- Rich Hill – 2 IP, 4 ER, 6 H, 1 BB, 2 K
- J.D. Davis – 0-for-4, 3 K
- Aaron Hicks – 0-for-4, 3 K
- Gavin Sheets – 0-for-5
- 1-for-17 since hitting 3 HRs in 4 games…
- Whit Merrifield – 0-for-5
- Albert Pujols – 0-for-5
From the News Desk
We have an incredible news desk at FantasyPros. Seriously, they crush it. If you don’t already, you should sync your teams with My Playbook and check out the Fantasy News and Scores app for updates about your players.
- Max Scherzer to miss six-to-eight weeks with oblique strain
- Jose Ramirez to undergo imaging on leg after HBP Thursday
- Tyler O’Neill (shoulder impingement) headed to IL
- Chad Green leaves Thursday’s game with forearm discomfort
- Max Meyer (elbow) placed on 7-day IL
- Shane Baz (elbow) to begin minor league rehab assignment Thursday
Here is every player who hit a home run yesterday:
Here is every player who stole a base yesterday:
Harrison Bader (x2)
Tim Anderson (x2)
Arm Barn Report
Here is every player who recorded a save yesterday:
Today’s Starting Lineup
- Fridays are fun this year if you are in the very specific demographic that does not have MLB.tv but DOES have ESPN+ and Apple TV+ because you get at least three games every Friday. This week, both of those people get:
- Of course, everyone should be watching that Cardinals game for Nolan Gorman‘s debut.
- Early game today is Diamondbacks vs. Cubs at 2:20 p.m. ET.
Beyond our fantasy baseball content, be sure to check out our award-winning slate of Fantasy Baseball Tools as you prepare for your draft this season. From our free mock Draft Simulator – which allows you to mock draft against realistic opponents – to our Draft Assistant – that optimizes your picks with expert advice – we’ve got you covered this fantasy baseball draft season.
Mike Maher is an editor and content manager at FantasyPros and BettingPros. For more from Mike, check out his archive, follow him on Twitter @MikeMaher, and visit his Philadelphia Eagles blog, The Birds Blitz.