On Wednesday, the Kansas City Chiefs traded superstar wide receiver Tyreek Hill to the Miami Dolphins. On Thursday, they started the process of attempting to replicate that lost production by signing free agent wideout Marquez Valdes-Scantling to a three-year deal.
What does Valdes-Scantling’s deal mean for the veteran wideout and the offense he is joining in Kansas City? Andrew Erickson is here to break down the fantasy football implications of the deal.
— FantasyPros (@FantasyPros) March 24, 2022
Just less than a day after trading Tyreek Hill to the Miami Dolphins, the Chiefs have signed his replacement Marquez Valdes-Scantling. It’s a three-year deal worth up to $36 million. Essentially the same money that Russell Gage got from the Buccaneers and what Zay Jones got from Jacksonville.
The ex-Packers field stretcher has ranked inside the top-5 in yards per reception over the last two seasons, so he will feel right at home catching bombs from Patrick Mahomes.
He is sure to experience spiked weeks of production attached to the Chiefs’ big-armed quarterback, but valuing him more than a weekly boom-or-bust fantasy WR3/4 would be malpractice.
MVS does get a bump up in the WR rankings with a slight upgrade at QB and the opportunity to see a larger target share, but I wouldn’t view him too dissimilarly to how he was perceived in Green Bay for the past four seasons. He has never commanded 75 targets in a season.
He’s WR45 in my early 2022 wide receiver rankings comfortably behind JuJu Smith-Schuster (WR29). I don’t anticipate Valdes-Scantling being the last wide receiver that the Chiefs add this offseason.
– Andrew Erickson
MVS is taking over the Fitbit Role from Demarcus Robinson.
All the Routes. Low Targets/Snap. pic.twitter.com/X1WVR7KQTG
— Derek Brown (@DBro_FFB) March 24, 2022
And don’t miss the rest of our takeaways from all of the recent news:
- Day 1 recap of free agent frenzy. | Day 1 Winners & Losers
- Day 2 recap of free agency frenzy
- Tyreek Hill Traded To Dolphins
- Matt Ryan Traded To Colts
- Marcus Mariota Signs With Falcons
- Leonard Fournette Re-Signs with Buccaneers
- Jameis Winston Re-Signs With Saints
- Robert Woods Traded To Titans
- Cordarrelle Patterson Re-Signs With Falcons
- JuJu Smith-Schuster Signs With Chiefs
- Davante Adams Traded To Raiders
- Deshaun Watson Traded To Browns
- Zay Jones, C.J. Uzomah, Tevin Coleman Takeaways
- Evan Engram To Sign With Jaguars
- Mitch Trubisky To Sign With Steelers
- James Conner Contract Extension
- Chase Edmonds To Sign with Dolphins
- Christian Kirk To Sign With Jaguars
- Tom Brady’s Return
- Carson Wentz Trade
- Russell Wilson Trade
- Calvin Ridley Suspension