Cordarrelle Patterson Re-Signs With Falcons: Fantasy Football Takeaways & Implications (2022)
The Atlanta Falcons missed out on Deshaun Watson despite being one of the finalists for his services this week, but they did bring back one of their own this weekend. According to multiple reports, the Falcons agreed to terms on a new contract with wide receiver/running back/return specialist Cordarrelle Patterson on Saturday.
Patterson was one of the most versatile players in the NFL last season, and his positional eligibility may even be up for debate in some fantasy leagues this year as a result. What does Patterson’s deal with the Falcons mean for the do-everything playmaker, quarterback Matt Ryan, and the rest of the weapons in Atlanta? Andrew Erickson is here to break down the fantasy football implications of the deal.
Nobody saw the Cordarelle Patterson ninth-year breakout coming. Unless, of course, you foresaw ex-Chicago Bears passing game coordinator Dave Ragone coming in as the Atlanta Falcons’ new offensive coordinator just to install Patterson in a hybrid RB/WR role.
For most of the season, fantasy football’s RB7 was a revelation and a player who changed the tide of leagues as a waiver-wire acquisition.
Cordarelle Patterson: fantasy RB7 before the final four games.
He failed to eclipse more than 9 fantasy points or 30 rushing yards in his final efforts. The team also used him more w/ Mike Davis.
But his best-case scenario for fantasy in 2022 was always returning to Atlanta.
— Andrew Erickson™ (@AndrewErickson_) March 19, 2022
Patterson’s only issue is that he stumbled across the fantasy football finish line, failing to eclipse more than nine fantasy points or 30 rushing yards in his last four games. The team also used him more in a committee alongside Mike Davis.
Nonetheless, the more bizarre part is that Patterson took a backseat in the receiving game despite his wide receiver background, totaling just seven targets in his final four games after averaging nearly five targets per game. Patterson’s 25% target rate per route ranked No. 1 among all running backs.
Still, even with the poor end to the season, Patterson’s best case in free agency was always returning to the Falcons. He is such a specialized talent who needs to be used in a particular manner, which was executed to near perfection under Arthur Smith’s tutelage.
With an overall lack of general playmakers after losing Calvin Ridley and Russell Gage, C-Patt should see a competent role in the Falcons offense. Whether it be as a receiver or rusher (or both), he’s a solid bet to lead the backfield with only Mike Davis and newly-signed Damien Williams vying for touches.
With Patterson’s range of outcomes so wide for fantasy football, he should remain a draft target if his ADP stays in the later rounds. His RB37 ADP on early best-ball is a great value at the moment.
– Andrew Erickson
ATL elderly RB group
Cordarrelle Patterson – 31 yo
Mike Davis – 29 yo
Damien Williams – 29 yo
Don’t Rule Out ATL still using a Day 3 pick on a running back.
— Derek Brown (@DBro_FFB) March 19, 2022
Other Newsworthy Transactions
- Allen Robinson signs with Los Angeles Rams
- Jarvis Landry being released from Cleveland
- DeMarcus Lawrence re-signs with Dallas
- C.J. Uzomah intends to sign with Jets
- D’Onta Foreman will sign with Panthers
- Tyrod Taylor expected to sign with Giants
- Greg Ward re-signs with the Eagles
- James White will re-sign with Patriots on two-year deal
- Chase Daniel will re-sign with Chargers
- Marcus Williams agrees to deal with Ravens
- Randy Gregory flips decision, to sign with Denver
And don’t miss the rest of our takeaways from all of the recent news:
- Day 1 recap of free agent frenzy. | Day 1 Winners & Losers
- Day 2 recap of free agency frenzy
- JuJu Smith-Schuster Signs With Chiefs
- Davante Adams Traded To Raiders
- Deshaun Watson Traded To Browns
- Zay Jones, C.J. Uzomah, Tevin Coleman Takeaways
- Evan Engram To Sign With Jaguars
- Mitch Trubisky To Sign With Steelers
- James Conner Contract Extension
- Chase Edmonds To Sign with Dolphins
- Christian Kirk To Sign With Jaguars
- Tom Brady’s Return
- Carson Wentz Trade
- Russell Wilson Trade
- Calvin Ridley Suspension