Los Angeles Angels 2020 Fantasy Baseball Preview
Welcome to our 2020 team preview series. We will be talking about the Angels in this post, but you can find all of our 2020 fantasy baseball MLB team previews here.
Here’s everything you need to know about the 2020 Angels from a fantasy perspective:
|1||Tommy La Stella||2B|
- Better in OBP formats: Mike Trout, Anthony Rendon, Justin Upton, Albert Pujols
- Worse in OBP formats: David Fletcher
- Better than his ADP: Shohei Ohtani (131)
- Worse than his ADP: Justin Upton (199)
- Bench bat(s) worth rostering: David Fletcher (batting average)
- Player(s) most likely to lose a starting spot: Tommy La Stella, Brian Goodwin
Quick notes: There are rumors Trout could lead off, moving La Stella to the bottom of the order. There is a camp competition for the 2B role between La Stella and Fletcher.
- Better than his ADP: Shohei Ohtani (131), Andrew Heaney (202), Dylan Bundy (227)
- Worse than his ADP: None
- Starter least likely to stick in the rotation: Patrick Sandoval
- Non-starter most likely to enter the rotation: Matt Andriese / Opener
Quick notes: This is a likely a six-man rotation with Ohtani starting once a week. Canning is also questionable to make the initial rotation as he is having elbow issues.
- Projected closer: Hansel Robles (Job Security: MEDIUM)
- Top backup: Ty Buttrey
- Premier holds option: Ty Buttrey
- Sneaky holds option: None
Quick notes: The closer job has officially been given to Robles, but Joe Maddon is one of the more progressive managers with bullpen usage. There have also been some quiet rumblings that Ohtani could pitch a bit out of the bullpen this year.
- Relevant in 2020: Jo Adell, Brandon Marsh
- Worth a look for 2021 and beyond: Jordyn Adams (speed)
- Don’t believe the hype: Jo Adell (32.6% strikeout rate in AAA in 2019)
Other Helpful Fantasy Info
- Park Factor: 97.5 for runs, 1.05 for homers, 97.3 for singles, 92.5 for doubles, 71.5 for triples (league average = 100)
- Green Light Rating: LOW (Joe Maddon)
- Likeliest 2020 roster moves: Jo Adell gets a look at some point, David Fletcher takes over most of the at-bats at 2B.
- Bold Fantasy Prediction: Shohei Ohtani scores the most total fantasy points in the league.
- Bland Fantasy Prediction: Anthony Rendon is not a top 30 fantasy hitter this year.