FanDuel DFS NBA Strategy Advice: Friday (1/22)
It’s the close to another work week, and even though it was only four days, it felt more like eight! If your week was anything like mine, Friday is the much-needed start to the weekend and a little relaxation. Why not kick things off by playing some FanDuel lineups? As always, we’ll name values, studs, and fades for the day’s DFS festivities. Let’s get right to it!
Most Value Per Dollar
Players expected to generate the most value relative to salary.
|Kemba Walker (BOS)||at PHI||$6,300||⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐||Medium|
|Coby White (CHI)||at CHA||$6,100||⭐⭐⭐⭐||Low|
- Walker has scored 50 FD points across 40 minutes of action in two games back in the lineup, and after two outings with no health issues, he could see his minutes increase to the mid-to-high 20’s tonight in a favorable matchup with Philly. At just $6.3K, you don’t need a huge night for Walker to hit value, but if he’s feeling it, his ceiling is high.
- White’s price has dropped precipitously due to his recent performances. Across his last two games, the second-year man has averaged fewer than 20 FD points, but there’s good reason to believe he can bounce back tonight. Scoring can come and go, but White is playing big minutes and doing more than just putting up points. This season, he’s averaging 15.9 points, 5.9 assists, and 5.1 rebounds and has legitimate 50-point upside. Charlotte’s matchup with Chicago has the highest over/under on the slate at 227.5, so the game environment favors White, who could really smash value at his discounted price.
|Collin Sexton (CLE)||vs. BKN||$7,500||⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐||Low|
|Jeremy Lamb (IND)||vs. ORL||$4,000||⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐||High|
- Sexton went off for a career-high 42 points against Brooklyn on Wednesday and racked up 63.5 FD points in the process. Granted, the game went to double OT, but Sexton has been an efficient scorer this season while leading Cleveland’s offense. Tonight, he’ll face the Nets for a rematch, and you’ve got to love the “Young Bull” against this pedestrian defense.
- Lamb made his season debut Tuesday and racked up 17.4 FD points in 19 minutes of action off the bench. Tonight, his minutes are expected to increase, and he should be relied on for his instant offense with the second unit. In this friendly matchup, Lamb is worth a shot in GPPs tonight.
|Cedi Osman (CLE)||vs. BKN||$5,900||⭐⭐⭐||Medium|
|Josh Okogie (MIN)||at MIN||$3,900||⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐||High|
- Osman has averaged better than 38 FD points across his last three contests, as he continues to play a key offensive role for the Cavs. Osman went for 25/7/7 in Wednesday’s double-OT victory, and he was on the court for a whopping 50 minutes! Tonight’s rematch offers the chance for more productivity at a value salary.
- He’s been in the starting lineup in each of the T-Wolves’ last three games, and with Juancho Hernangomez and Karl-Anthony Towns both out, expect Okogie to keep seeing quality playing time. He’s scored at least 21 FD points in two of his last three contests, and at just $3.9K in a great matchup, he could be a great value, especially in GPPs.
|Isaiah Roby (OKC)||at LAC||$4,500||⭐⭐⭐||Medium|
|Kristaps Porzingis (DAL)||at SA||$8,400||⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐||High|
- Al Horford (personal) will be out again Friday, leaving Roby to pick up the slack. The rookie has averaged 25 minutes and 28 FD points across his last three (all without Horford), and he should be called on again tonight.
- KP went for 27/13/4 and 51.6 FD points in his last game, and his price still hasn’t caught up to his upside. Facing a weak Spurs’ defense, Porzingis makes a solid value tonight.
|Richaun Holmes (SAC)||vs. NYK||$7,000||⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐||Low|
|DeMarcus Cousins (HOU)||at DET||$4,500||⭐⭐⭐||Medium|
- Holmes has played heavy minutes for the Kings as of late, averaging 35.2 across his last five contests. Tonight, he’ll face a Knicks squad bleeding points to the center position, and Holmes could far exceed his $7K price tag.
- With Christian Wood (ankle) out Friday, Cousins will get the start. He hasn’t gotten enough minutes to be much of a fantasy factor this season, but he should be in line for increased playing time and usage in this one. He scored 44.3 points in 23 minutes in his only start this season.
Studs Worth Their Salary
- Victor Oladipo (HOU) $8,500: No John Wall, and now no Christian Wood. Dipo will be without both of Houston’s other primary scoring options, and he should be leaned on heavily. He’s a downright steal at just $8.5K.
- LaMelo Ball (CHA) $7,200: After a stinker against Toronto last week, Ball’s salary has depreciated to a wonderfully-low price. Charlotte hasn’t played in nearly a week, Ball should be rested, and this game has the highest over/under on the slate. Ball has a great chance to smash value here.
- Joel Embiid (PHI) $10,000: Acr0ss his last two games with at least 30 minutes played, Embiid has averaged just under 75 FD points. That’s insane, and the big man is playing at an MVP level this season. He’s worth his lofty salary tonight.
- Zach LaVine (CHI) $9,300: LaVine has scored at least 49 FD points in four of his last five games, and he gets an excellent matchup with Charlotte and a great game environment to exceed value.
Notable Players to Fade
- Andre Drummond (CLE) $8,600: Drummond may seem like a tremendous value at this price point, but he’s fools gold here. In Wednesday’s double-OT win over the Nets, Drummond saw only 25 minutes on the court, compared to 31 for newcomer Jarrett Allen.
- Nikola Jokic (DEN) $11,200: It seems like sacrilege to fade the Joker tonight, but it’s not because of his play or even his matchup. There are simply too many other great options on the slate at center and across the board who are cheaper, offer high upside, and allow for a more flexible roster build.
- James Harden (BKN) $10,700: Harden is liable to go off on any given night, but with Brooklyn’s Big 3 now firmly in place, his nightly usage will vary quite a bit more than it has in the past. I’d rather take a shot on Kevin Durant (at $10.5K or, more attractively, Kyrie Irving at $9.2K).
Beyond our daily fantasy basketball content, be sure to check out our Daily Fantasy Basketball Tools. From our Lineup Optimizer – which allows you to build winning DFS lineups in seconds for Cash and GPP contests – to our DFS Cheat Sheets – that helps you get a quick read on the day’s players – we’ve got you covered this fantasy basketball season.