FanDuel DFS NBA Strategy: Thursday(1/14)
It’s Thursday, and we’ve got a solid, five-game NBA slate on deck. As always, we’ll name values, studs, and fades for the day’s DFS festivities. Let’s get right to it!
Most Value Per Dollar
Players expected to generate the most value relative to salary.
|Gabe Vincent (MIA)||at PHI||$4,5o0||⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐||Medium|
|Dejounte Murray (SA)||vs. HOU||$7,500||⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐||Medium|
|Edmond Sumner (IND)||at POR||$3,500||⭐||High|
- With Goran Dragic and Jimmy Butler out tonight due to health and safety protocols, Vincent should see plenty of run tonight. He scored 34.9 FD points across 36 minutes Tuesday in a starting role, but his price remains unbelievably cheap.
- Murray is coming off a couple of down games relative to his price tag, but he’s a great bet to break value this evening, facing an already-generous Houston defense that will be extremely shorthanded.
- Sumner played 30 minutes Tuesday, and if he can see similar court time tonight, he could exceed his bottom-dollar price tag. Coming in at the lowest possible price, Sumner is worth a look in GPPs as a pivot option from some of the chalkier plays of the night.
|Tyler Herro (MIA)||at PHI||$6,500||⭐⭐||Low|
|Tyrese Maxey||vs. MIA||$5,600||⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐||Medium|
|David Nwaba||at SA||$4,800||⭐⭐||High|
- Herro has scored better than 40 FD points in two straight, and he should be asked to carry the offense tonight with all of Jimmy Butler, Bam Adebayo, and Goran Dragic out of action. Herro’s moderately priced with a huge ceiling.
- After his 60.4 FD-point eruption a week ago, Maxey has eclipsed 30 FD points in two straight. Philly is beginning to get back to full strength, but his recent performances have surely earned him a regular role in the Sixers’ rotation. He’s got a ton of upside at just $5.6K.
- Houston will be sporting a skeleton crew tonight, and Nwaba figures to see heavy minutes against the Spurs. Priced under $5K, he’s a big-time value tonight. If you want to spend down even further, Ben McLemore is just $3.7K.
|Eric Gordon (HOU)||at SA||$5,200||⭐||Medium|
|Precious Achiuwa (MIA)||at PHI||$4,100||⭐⭐⭐||Medium|
|Jae’Sean Tate (HOU)||at SA||$4,000||⭐||High|
- Gordon is questionable tonight, but if he’s good to go, he’s being comically undervalued at just $5.2K. Expect high usage and big minutes if he’s cleared to play.
- Achiuwa joined Miami’s starting lineup Tuesday and posted 37.1 FD points across 35 minutes. He should be in line for a similar workload tonight for the shorthanded Heat, making him an excellent value play.
- Tate makes a nice low-dollar option here, especially if Gordon is unable to go. Houston’s thinned-out lineup will need all the help it can get.
|Kelly Olynyk (MIA)||at PHI||$5,300||⭐⭐||Low|
|PJ Washington (CHA)||at TOR||$6,500||⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐||Medium|
- At just $5.3K, Olynyk makes one of the night’s best values. He’s averaged 38 minutes across his last two contests and scored at least 36 FD points in each outing. He’s priced far too cheaply here.
- Washington’s got an excellent matchup this evening, and with Gordon Hayward (hip) potentially out of action, Washington could see increased run. I’d also take a long look at Miles Bridges ($4.3K, SF) if Hayward indeed sits.
|DeMarcus Cousins (HOU)||at SA||$4,600||⭐⭐||Medium|
- It’s time to “boogie” over to Cousins tonight as a great value option for only $4.6K. He should be in line for an increase in minutes and usage that could allow him to easily smash value.
Studs Worth Their Salary
- Joel Embiid (PHI) $10,200: Fresh off an 84.2 FD-point performance Tuesday, Embiid looks mighty nice tonight against the same opponent, the shorthanded Miami Heat.
- Christian Wood (HOU) $8,100: Houston will be without John Wall, and with the recent James Harden trade, Wood remains the best bet to lead the offense tonight. Even at this price tag, he could be a huge value.
- Domantas Sabonis (IND) $9,200: He’s got a great matchup with Toronto, and with Victor Oladipo gone, someone’s got to pick up the slack on offense.
- Pascal Siakam (TOR) $8,900: Siakam has averaged just under 50 FD points across his last four games, and he draws a favorable matchup with Charlotte tonight.
- LaMelo Ball (CHA) $7,800: Ball’s play has been stellar this season, but after a down game against Dallas, his ownership could dip. Tonight’s matchup with Toronto is great, and the Hornets could be without Gordan Hayward (hip).
Notable Players to Fade
- Ben Simmons (PHI) $8,200: He returned to action Tuesday but didn’t provide a huge return in value. Dealing with knee issues and with a full stable likely to return around him, Simmons is a guy to avoid tonight. There are better places I’m spending my money, here.
- CJ McCollum (POR) $9,500: McCollum has been unbelievable this season, but on tonight’s slate, he’s too expensive for my blood. There are some excellent value plays at every position, and I’ll pass on McCollum.
Beyond our daily fantasy basketball content, be sure to check out our Daily Fantasy Basketball Tools. From our Lineup Optimizer – which allows you to build winning DFS lineups in seconds for Cash and GPP contests – to our DFS Cheat Sheets – that helps you get a quick read on the day’s players – we’ve got you covered this fantasy basketball season.