Arizona Diamondbacks 2020 Fantasy Baseball Preview
Beyond our fantasy baseball content, be sure to check out our award-winning slate of Fantasy Baseball Tools as you prepare for your draft this season. From our free mock Draft Simulator – which allows you to mock draft against realistic opponents – to our Draft Assistant – which optimizes your picks with expert advice – we’ve got you covered this fantasy baseball draft season.
As part of our 2020 season preparations, we are going digging into the fantasy options for every Major League Baseball team.
Here’s everything you need to know about the 2020 Arizona Diamondbacks from a fantasy perspective.
You can find all of our 2020 fantasy baseball MLB team previews here.
- Better in OBP formats: Carson Kelly, Christian Walker
- Worse in OBP formats: Nick Ahmed
- Better than his ADP: Christian Walker (199)
- Worse than his ADP: Starling Marte (29)
- Bench bat(s) worth rostering: Jake Lamb
- Player(s) most likely to lose a starting spot: Kole Calhoun
Quick Thoughts: To Arizona’s credit, it remained a viable offense even after trading away Paul Goldschmidt prior to the 2019 season, as the team finished tenth in the league in runs-per-game. It will need the same high level of production from the heart of the order and the new leadoff man in Starling Marte. There’s no reason why we should expect any dropoff, however, and the Diamondbacks have a well-rounded lineup that can do some damage, even without a superstar-laden offense.
- Better than his ADP: Zac Gallen (117)
- Worse than his ADP: Luke Weaver (184)
- Starter least likely to stick in the rotation: Luke Weaver
- Non-starter most likely to enter the rotation: J.B. Bukauskas
Quick Thoughts: Luke Weaver is listed as the starter least likely to stick in the rotation, but that’s not due to his own performance. He’s haunted by discomfort in his arm that dates back to 2019 and is likely to be limited wherever possible. If we could remove this health concern, he would be easily worth his modest price tag.
- Projected closer: Archie Bradley (Job Security: HIGH)
- Top backup: Kevin Ginkel
- Premier holds option: Kevin Ginkel, Junior Guerra
- Sneaky holds option: Andrew Chafin
Quick Thoughts: Kevin Ginkel is expected to play an important role in 2020, and he might even slide into the closer’s spot if the Diamondbacks put Archie Bradley on the trade market. It’s not particularly likely, but the possibility — coupled with Ginkel’s upside — makes for an intriguing bullpen situation in Arizona.
- Relevant in 2020: J.B. Bukauskas, Jon Duplantier, Josh Rojas, Daulton Varsho
- Worth a look for 2021 and beyond: Kristian Robinson, Corbin Carroll
- Don’t believe the hype: Seth Beer
Quick Thoughts: The Diamondbacks have a fairly top-heavy farm system that could have an impact in the majors as early as this year. The one prospect whose hype has grown a little too fast, however, is Seth Beer. Beer is a bat-first prospect who failed to adjust at the higher levels of the minor leagues, and there are legitimate questions as to his true potential. Silly as it sounds, his name also carries some weight through familiarity and recognition. Ask around. Beer is often the first name mentioned when people cite the package that Houston sent to Arizona for Greinke.
Other Helpful Fantasy Info
- Park Factor: The Arizona Diamondbacks added a humidor to help suppress the number of home runs leaving their ballpark, but Chase Field still plays to the offense. It did help level off home runs to the point that it’s almost neutral, but it still ranks third overall in runs. It is also the second-best ballpark for triples so, if you’re chasing total bases, there might be some sneaky value in Arizona.
- Green Light Rating: MEDIUM — Arizona ticked just above average with stolen base attempts in 2019, and it was the highest in manager Torey Lovullo’s three-year tenure with the team.
- Likeliest 2020 roster moves: Arizona gets some help in the outfield, perhaps through shuffling of current roster pieces. People will probably beg for Kristian Robinson to get an early call-up, but it’s extremely unlikely.
- Bold Fantasy Prediction: Zac Gallen finishes the season as a top-10 fantasy pitcher.
- Bland Fantasy Prediction: Madison Bumgarner is perfectly solid for the Diamondbacks, finishing in the top-25 of starting pitchers for the season and nicely filling in the hole left behind in the team’s trade of Greinke.