NBA DraftKings & FanDuel DFS Primer: Wednesday (3/9)
I didn’t have the big payout I was looking for on my birthday, but we ended up in the green. That’s really all we can ask for, and it has me ready to keep rolling here!
We haven’t had one of these slates in a while. We have 12 games making up this Wednesday card, with only six teams not playing basketball. That’s going to leave us with a massive player pool, and it’s always harder to break things down when these many teams are in action. In any case, there’s a ton of value out there, so, let’s kick things off with the schedule and odds!
Schedule and Odds
- CHI at DET (CHI -6.5) O/U: 226
- BOS at CHA (BOS -6.5) O/U: 227
- PHX at MIA (MIA -8) O/U: 219.5
- ORL at NOP (NOP -8) O/U: 221.5
- LAL at HOU (LAL -3.5) O/U: 233.5
- ATL at MIL (MIL -5.5) O/U: 236.5
- OKC at MIN (MIN -14) O/U: 230
- NYK at DAL (DAL -8) O/U: 215.5
- TOR at SAS (TOR -1) O/U: 229.5
- DEN at SAC (DEN -4) O/U: 239.5
- POR at UTA (UTA -17) O/U: 221.5
- WAS at LAC (LAC -4.5) O/U: 219.5
- Alex Caruso (hand) OUT
- Lonzo Ball (knee) OUT
- Nikola Vucevic (hamstring) OUT
- Isaiah Stewart (knee) Questionable
- Gordon Hayward (ankle) OUT
- Devin Booker (COVID) Questionable
- Chris Paul (hand) OUT
- Cameron Johnson (quad) Questionable
- Jalen Suggs (ankle) Questionable
- Zion Williamson (foot) OUT
- LeBron James (knee) Questionable
- Anthony Davis (ankle) OUT
- Christian Wood (illness) Questionable
- Dennis-schroder.php” class=”fp-player-link fp-id-2780″ target=”_blank”>Dennis Schroder (ankle) Questionable
- Brook Lopez (back) OUT
- Josh Giddey (hip) OUT
- Isaiah Roby (back) Questionable
- Anthony Edwards (knee) Questionable
- D’Angelo Russell (hamstring) Questionable
- Derrick Rose (ankle) OUT
- Kemba Walker (sitting) OUT
- Mitchell Robinson (illness) OUT
- Jalen Brunson (foot) Questionable
- Tim Hardaway Jr (foot) OUT
- Fred VanVleet (knee) Questionable
- OG Anunoby (finger) OUT
- Devin Vassell (groin) Questionable
- Jamal Murray (knee) OUT
- Michael Porter Jr (back) OUT
- Terence Davis (wrist) OUT
- Damian Lillard (abs) OUT
- Jusuf Nurkic (foot) OUT
- Anfernee Simons (quad) Questionable
- Bradley Beal (wrist) OUT
- Paul George (elbow) OUT
- Kawhi Leonard (knee) OUT
- Norman Powell (foot) OUT
Luka Doncic (PG – DAL): $12,300 DraftKings, $11,100 FanDuel
Luka was leading the NBA in usage when Porzingis was on this roster, and it’s even higher now since that trade. He’s actually flirting with a 40 percent usage rate, scoring at least 71 fantasy points in eight of his last 14 games. Only a few players have scored 71 DK points in eight games all season, and it’s scary to think what he could do here against a 21st-ranked Knicks defense.
Karl-Anthony Towns (C – MIN): $10,800 DraftKings, $9,400 FanDuel
Could this be a better spot for Big KAT? He’s playing some of the best basketball of his career right now and gets to face one of the worst frontcourts in the NBA. It’s easy to see why he’s rolling, with Towns posting a career-high usage rate with Edwards and Russell both nicked up. He’s crushed this terrible Thunder frontcourt all year, scoring at least 42 DK points in all three of their meetings, despite averaging just 12 shots and 30 minutes a night. That shot total could be doubled here, and that minute total could bump by 30 percent!
Robert Williams (C – BOS): $7,100 DraftKings, $7,800 FanDuel
The Time Lord has really come into his own this season. He’s scored at least 27 DraftKings points in 18 of his last 20 games, posting a 37-point average in that stretch. That’s scary since he hasn’t had many big scoring games, providing value through hustle and defense. That sort of play is really enticing in a matchup like this, with Charlotte sitting second in pace and 28th in points allowed. In their two matchups this season, Rob-Will is averaging 39 DraftKings points per game.
Cash Game Considerations
Nikola Jokic (C – DEN): $12,600 DraftKings, $11,500 FanDuel
This dude is on another planet right now. He’s already leading the NBA with nearly 61 fantasy points per game, scoring at least 40 DK points in all but one game this season. He’s also carrying some absurd form into this matchup, combining for 78 points, 27 rebounds, 24 assists, three steals, and five blocks over the last two games. It’s not like we expect a 29th-ranked Kings defense to slow him down, either.
Rudy Gobert (C – UTA): $7,800 DraftKings, $7,700 FanDuel
We’ve had Gobert in this cash game section all season, and it’s easy to understand why. His league-leading rebounding gives him one of the best floors in fantasy, scoring at least 27 DraftKings points in 47 of 50 games this season. He’s also got a career-high 41-point average, and we believe that’s his floor against a 28th-ranked Portland defense. He’s played them twice this season, averaging 21.5 points, 15 rebounds, and 1.5 blocks per game!
Pascal Siakam (PF – TOR): $9,500 DraftKings, $8,300 FanDuel
Sia has quietly been one of the best players in DFS this season. He’s scored at least 34 DraftKings points in 40 of his last 43 games, averaging 45 fantasy points per game in that span. His usage is a significant reason why, playing nearly 40 minutes a night in that stretch. That’s scary because he could be asked to do even more here, with VanVleet and Anunoby both possibly missing this game. The matchup with San Antonio is sensational, too, with the Spurs sitting fourth in pace and 26th in total defense,
Russell Westbrook (PG – LAL): $8,500 DraftKings, $6,800 FanDuel
There’s no doubt that Westbrook has been struggling, but this is the spot of all spots. The most beneficial part of using him is this matchup, with Houston playing at the fastest pace in the NBA while ranked dead-last in defensive efficiency. This guy can still drop 50 DK points at ease, and that could be much easier with LeBron and AD both possibly missing this game.
Jalen Green (PG – HOU): $5,700 DraftKings, $6,000 FanDuel
Don’t look now, but this rookie is starting to find it! Green has at least 28 DraftKings points in seven of his last eight games, generating a 34-point average in that span. That’s a grand total from such an affordable player, and it looks likely to continue against a Lakers team that’s surrendering the most fantasy points to opposing point guards.
Isaiah Roby (PF/C – OKC): $5,500 DraftKings, $6,700 FanDuel
The Oklahoma City frontcourt has been obliterated by injuries. They’re currently missing Dort, Favors, Robinson-Earl, Muscala, Giddey, Williams, and Jerome, leaving Roby with all he can handle. He’s been doing work in this expanded role, averaging over 46 DK points per game across his last two outings. We certainly don’t want to avoid him against Minnesota either, with the T’Wolves ranked second in pace and 20th in total defense.
Malik Monk (SG – LAL): $5,700 DraftKings, $6,000 FanDuel
Monk has been a stud whenever he’s in the starting lineup, averaging 30 DraftKings points per game in this role. We love that here because he could be the key scorer with LeBron and Davis both possibly sitting this game. Monk attempted 22 shots in that same spot on Monday, and if he does that at this price, he’s one of the best plays on the board against the worst defense in the NBA.
Cameron Payne (PG – PHX): $6,500 DraftKings, $6,800 FanDuel
It’s hard to understand why this dude remains so cheap. Payne averaged 40 DK points per game in his three starts for CP3 last season and has been even better this year. He’s actually posting a 46-point average over his previous three games, taking over this Phoenix offense in the absence of Paul, Booker, and Johnson.
Alperen Sengun (C – HOU): $5,100 DraftKings, $4,600 FanDuel
If Wood misses this game, Sengun is the best per-dollar play on the board. We’re talking about a guy who’s averaging 22 DraftKings points per game, despite playing just 19 minutes a night. That minute total could double here if Sengun gets the start for Wood, which is awesome since he has at least 28 DraftKings points in three of his last five games. Not to mention, Los Angeles ranks fifth in pace and 25th in total defense.
- Karl-Anthony Towns (C – MIN): $10,800 DraftKings, $9,400 FanDuel
- Pascal Siakam (PF – TOR): $9,500 DraftKings, $8,300 FanDuel
- Russell Westbrook (PG – LAL): $8,500 DraftKings, $6,800 FanDuel
- Isaiah Roby (PF/C – OKC): $5,500 DraftKings, $6,700 FanDuel
- Jrue Holiday (PG – MIL): $7,900 DraftKings, $9,000 FanDuel
- LaMelo Ball (PG/SG – CHA): $8,800 DraftKings, $7,600 FanDuel
- Reggie Jackson (PG – LAL): $8,800 DraftKings, $7,100 FanDuel
- Anfernee Simons (PG – POR): $8,400 DraftKings, $6,300 FanDuel
- Josh Hart (SF – POR): $7,700 DraftKings, $5,900 FanDuel
- Julius Randle (PF – NYK): $10,100 DraftKings, $8,600 FanDuel
- Kristaps Porzingis (PF/C – WAS): $7,600 DraftKings, $6,000 FanDuel
- Trendon Watford (PF – POR): $5,700 DraftKings, $4,100 FanDuel