NBA DraftKings & FanDuel DFS Primer: Friday (1/28)
That Thursday card was boring with only two games, but we’re back to a full slate here. It’s been a fantastic week up to this point, but you need to keep an eye on injury reports. With the All-Stat break approaching, we’re going to see more resting than usual.
We have 11 games making up this Friday card, and it could be an amazing one. Nine of the 11 games have spreads within five points, and it could lead to some exciting action. Almost all of those are flirting with pick-ems, too, making it one of the most tightly-contested slates of the season.
Schedule and Odds
- DET at ORL (ORL -2.5) O/U: 212
- BOS at ATL (ATL -2.5) O/U: 21.5
- LAL at CHA (LAL -3) O/U: 228.5
- DEN at NOP (DEN -5.5) O/U: 215.5
- POR at HOU (POR -2.5) O/U: 233
- LAC at MIA (MIA -5.5) O/U: 210.5
- IND at OKC (OKC -2) O/U: 216.5
- UTA at MEM (MEM -2.5) O/U: 224.5
- CHI at SAS (CHI -1.5) O/U: 228
- MIN at PHX (PHX -10) O/U: 230.5
- NYK at MIL (MIL -9.5) O/U: 216
- LeBron James (knee) Questionable
- Domantas Sabonis (ankle) Questionable
- Kawhi Leonard (knee) OUT
- Paul George (elbow) OUT
- Damian Lillard (abductor) OUT
- Donovan Mitchell (concussion) Questionable
- Rudy Gobert (calf) OUT
- Jimmy Butler (toe) Questionable
- Zion Williamson (foot) OUT
- Brandon Ingram (ankle) Questionable
- Deandre Ayton (ankle) Questionable
- Malcolm Brogdon (Achilles) OUT
- Lonzo Ball (knee) OUT
- Kyle Lowry (personal) OUT
- Josh Hart (ankle) Questionable
- Gordon Hayward (foot) OUT
- Jamal Murray (knee) OUT
- Michael Porter Jr (back) OUT
- Myles Turner (foot) OUT
- Dillon Brooks (ankle) OUT
- Robert Covington (knee) Questionable
- Kelly Ounre Jr (ankle) Questionable
Jayson Tatum (SF/PF – BOS): $10,100 DraftKings, $9,700 FanDuel
I don’t use Tatum a lot, but he’s feeling it right now. The Boston forward has at least 50 fantasy points in three straight outings, generating 61.5 DraftKings points per game in that span. That makes him a good value in this price range, particularly in a matchup like this. The Hawks rank 24th in points allowed and 27th in defensive efficiency, with JT dropping 57.3 DK points in their one matchup earlier this season.
LaMelo Ball (PG/SG – CHA): $8,500 DraftKings, $8,600 FanDuel
LaMelo’s shot has been terrible recently, but this price is silly. Ball has scored at least 33 fantasy points in 10 straight games, posting a 69-point gem in his most recent outing. We love that since he gets to face the Lakers, with Los Angeles ranked third in pace and 26th in total defense. They’re also surrendering the most fantasy points to opposing guards, and you know Ball will be motivated against his childhood team.
Bam Adebayo (C – MIA): $7,500 DraftKings, $8,000 FanDuel
Big Bam is a consistency monster. He’s actually doing a ton of distributing with Lowry out of the lineup, and he could go nuts here if Butler sits as well. Even if Jimmy plays, Bam is still a brilliant option. The big man has scored at least 28 DK points in all but two games this season and has at least 32 fantasy points in every game since his return off the COVID IL. That floor should be easy to reach, with the Clippers owning a 22nd OPRK against opposing centers.
Cash Game Considerations
Nikola Jokic (C – NOP): $12,600 DraftKings, $11,300 FanDuel
Jokic is in here every game that Denver plays, and he will remain in this section. This dude is the most reliable option in fantasy, scoring at least 41 DraftKings points in all but one game this season. That has led to his league-leading 60 DK points per game, and we’re certainly not worried about him facing New Orleans. In their one meeting earlier this season, The Joker laughed his way to 39 points, 11 rebounds, and 11 assists in yet another pristine performance.
Russell Westbrook (PG – LAL): $8,600 DraftKings, $7,800 FanDuel
There’s no way that Anthony Davis plays in the second half of a back-to-back, and with LeBron sitting on Thursday, Russ could be running the show for the Lakers here. Even if one of those guys is out, his usage and numbers should skyrocket, but he’d be the best play on the board if both sit. The matchup is a major reason why, with Charlotte ranked 26th in defensive efficiency, 28th in points allowed, and third in pace. In their one matchup, Westbrook had 60 DK points in one of his best games of the season!
C.J. McCollum (SG/SF – POR): $7,300 DraftKings, $7,700 FanDuel
C.J. is always a stud when Dame is out, making these price tags tough to understand. He’s usually closer to $9K in these circumstances, flirting with 40 minutes, 25 shots, and a 35 percent usage rate with Lillard off the floor. He’s averaging over 40 DK points per game in these outings since the start of last season too, which is amazing against a Rockets defense that ranks first in pace and dead-last in both points allowed and defensive efficiency.
Devonte’ Graham (PG/SG – NOP): $5,200 DraftKings, $5,500 FanDuel
Graham is the definition of a GPP play because this dude can go off when he’s rolling. We believe it’s more likely here because of the injury report, with New Orleans possibly missing Zion, Ingram, and Hart. That means Graham should get all the usage he can handle, which was on full display when he had 42 DraftKings points in the most recent outing. We certainly don’t mind that he faces one of the worst backcourts in basketball either, with Denver owning a 23rd OPRK against opposing guards.
P.J. Washington (PF/C – CHA): $5,000 DraftKings, $4,800 FanDuel
P.J. is the most talented big man in Charlotte, and it looks like they’re finally ready to give him the workload he deserves. Washington is averaging 28 DK points per game across his last three fixtures if you omit a first-quarter ejection. You can’t ask for any more from such a cheap player, and he should be able to keep that rolling against a lackluster Lakers defense.
Isaiah Stewart (C – DET): $4,300 DraftKings, $5,000 FanDuel
Beef Stew has been a huge disappointment this season, but this price is wild. This dude should still be above $5K, scoring at least 21 DK points in four of his last five games. That’s all you need from such an affordable player, and he’s shown us a 40-point upside as well. Getting to face Orlando is a bonus, with the Magic sitting 22nd in points allowed and 23rd in defensive efficiency while surrendering the second-most fantasy points to opposing centers.
Goga Bitadze (C – IND): $6,300 DraftKings, $5,400 FanDuel
Goga has been riddled by foul trouble in this expanded role, but he’s too talented to be this cheap. The simple fact is, he has to play 30-plus minutes a night with Sabonis and Turner both sidelined. We haven’t seen that consistently because of foul trouble and Indiana’s form, but it’s hard to argue with Goga’s 28-point average across 27 minutes a night over the last four games. We consider that his floor here, with Oklahoma City having one of the weakest frontcourts in the NBA and likely keeping this game close for once.
Bismack Biyombo (C – CHA): $5,800 DraftKings, $6,300 FanDuel
Biyombo was already a boss when just Ayton was out, but this is Bismack’s show with McGee sidelined as well. Since joining the Suns, the big man has scored at least 24 DK points in six of his 10 games, providing a 35-point average over the last five fixtures. Good luck finding that from another $6K player, especially since he faces a Minnesota team maintaining a 24th OPRK against opposing centers.
Bogdan Bogdanovic (SG/SF – ATL): $4,400 DraftKings, $5,700 FanDuel
This price is clearly due to Bogdan’s injury, but this guy has proven to be a $7,000 player in the past. He showed us that in his return to action on Wednesday, dropping 35 DK points across 23 minutes of action. We believe he’ll get closer to 30 minutes here, and that makes him one of the best values in this sub-$5K price range!
- Nikola Jokic (C – NOP): $12,600 DraftKings, $11,300 FanDuel
- Bogdan Bogdanovic (SG/SF – ATL): $4,400 DraftKings, $5,700 FanDuel
- Franz Wagner (SG/SF – ORL): $5,600 DraftKings, $6,600 FanDuel
- Trae Young (PG – ATL): $10,100 DraftKings, $9,100 FanDuel
- Caris LeVert (SG/SF – IND): $8,800 DraftKings, $7,800 FanDuel
- Josh Giddey (PG/SG – OKC): $7,300 DraftKings, $5,600 FanDuel
- Herbert Jones (SF/PF – NOP): $4,900 DraftKings, $5,900 FanDuel
- Norman Powell (SG/SF – POR): $6,100 DraftKings, $7,500 FanDuel
- KJ Martin (PF – HOU): $3,700 DraftKings, $5,300 FanDuel
- Mike Conley (PG – UTA): $7,100 DraftKings, $5,800 FanDuel
- Jordan Clarkson (PG/SG – UTA): $7,200 DraftKings, $5,700 FanDuel
- Ivica Zubav (C – LAC): $4,700 DraftKings, $6,400 FanDuel
- Jakob Poeltl (C – SAS): $6,400 DraftKings, $8,500 FanDuel
- Coby White (PG/SG – CHI): $7,000 DraftKings, $5,300 FanDuel
- Jarred Vanderbilt (PF – MIN): $5,300 DraftKings, $7,000 FanDuel
- R.J. Barrett (SG/SF – NYK) $7,400 DraftKings, $6,400 FanDuel
- Alec Burks (PG/ SG – NYK) $6,600 DraftKings, $4,800 FanDuel
- Kemba Walker (PG – NYK): $6,000 DraftKings, $4,800 FanDuel