Here’s what I’m taking away from what Dr. Deepak Chona said on the Week 5 Sunday night recap show.
- Fantasy Football Week 6 Waiver Wire FAAB Advice
- Fantasy Football Panic Meter
- Fantasy Football Week 5 Takeaways: Surprises & Disappointments
- Fantasy Football Heat Index
- Fantasy Football Rest of Season Rankings
- Rashaad Penny (fractured tibia): Left the game in the 3rd quarter. Suffered a fractured tibia. Likely season-ending if surgery is required.
- Chris Olave (concussion): Left with a concussion, likely going to miss time. 6-10 days usual turnaround time
- Pat Freiermuth (concussion): Freiermuth left with a concussion at end of 3rd quarter. Concerning because it’s his 3rd reported concussion. I would expect him to miss next week.
- Damien Harris (hamstring): Didn’t return in the 2nd half with a hamstring injury. Also had one last season. His Thursday practice status will go a long way about his availability.
- Tyreek Hill (foot/quad): In a walking boot after the game after being stepped on. Possible mid-foot sprain, potentially could miss 1-2 weeks. Rashod Bateman had same injury.
- Teddy Bridgewater (head/elbow): New protocols kept him out. Elbow should be fine
- Brian Robinson (returned from gunshot wound): Led team in carries. Shouldn’t be feeling long-term effects on gunshot wounds.
- Russell Wilson update (lat strain): Similar to Dak Prescott injury – limits on the deep ball for Wilson.
- James Conner (rib): Left game in 3rd quarter. Likely pain tolerance issue unless he has cartilage damage like Alvin Kamara.
Josh Stallion, Geno-Brainer a fantasy QB1 ROS
Blowout of epic proportions. Josh Allen goes for over 400 yards and could have honestly thrown for 600 yards in this game had the Steelers fought back in any capacity. But the bigger news is the low-key fantasy QB1 status of Geno Smith. His biggest challenge for was versus a tough NO defense. Dude diced ’em. 3 TDs and 268 passing yards. The Seahawks QB is the fantasy QB5 pending Monday Night Football. And he faces the Arizona Cardinals in Week 6.
Breece Future Hall of Famer
The Breece Hall buy window is over. Closed. Done. He dominated carries (18 vs 10) and snaps (69% vs 42%) over Michael Carter. Except Carter scored two goal-line TDs from the 1-yard line. But Hall also had…100 receiving yards on 2 targets, 97 rushing yards and 79-yard catch that nearly went the distance. Locked-and-loaded top-15 option ROS, with the high chance he finishes inside the top-8 as his role continues to grow. He’s currently the RB7 in PPR (Monday night pending).
Gabe “Doesn’t Command Targets” Davis
Gabriel Davis on just 6 targets and 3 catches – 171 yards and 2 TDs. Perks of being a WR attached to Allen playing every single snap on offense (team-leading 84% snap share in Week 5). A WR doesn’t always need to command a high target share when the most of targets they see are of the high-value variety.
Alvin Kamara rushed 23 times for 103 yards. Nearly 200 yards with his receiving added in (6-91) But TE/QB/Superman Taysom Hill got all THREE rushing TDs and threw another. 9 carries for over 100 rushing yards on just a 30% snap share. At this point, just throw his TE usage/snaps/routes etc. out the window. Never going to be consistent. But the team gives him opportunities in high-leverage spots, and he continues to deliver. He’s better than any other fringe waiver wire tight end. He is the TE7 on the year.
Quick Game-by-Game Observations & Takeaways
Sunday Morning London Game
Game 1 – Giants 27, Packers 22
Fantasy takeaway: Allen Lazard is still the go-to guy in the RZ. Second on team with 8 targets, with 1 receiving TD.
Saquon Barkley is a warrior. 16 touches for over 100 yards and one TD despite getting medical attention during the game for a shoulder injury.
- Giants are 4-1. Wow.
- Randall Cobb 7-for-99 on team-high 13 targets
- Aaron Jones (13 carries, 3 targets, 73% snap share) dominated the backfield over A.J. Dillon (6 carries, no targets, 32% snap share). Positive game script provided no favors for either Packers RB.
- Robert Tonyan played fewer snaps than Marcedes Lewis.
- Romeo Doubs just 5 targets and 3 catches for 29 yards. Missed deep by Rodgers.
- Christian Watson left with a hamstring injury.
Next week: Giants host Ravens, Packers host Jets
Sunday Early Afternoon Slate
Game 2 – Bills 38, Steelers 3
Fantasy takeaway: Najee Harris 11-20-0 rushing, 3-16-0 receiving. Panic meter?
- Bills scorched Earth, could have set records if game was closer
- James Cook 4-31-1, looked good on the TD run but only played 18% of snaps.
- Gabe Davis 3-171-2 on 6 targets, do the lack of targets just not matter?
- Najee Harris. 11 carries for 20 yards. Four targets on 52 attempts from Kenny Pickett.
- No. 2 RB Jaylen Warren had more targets (5) and more yards from scrimmage (63 versus 36). Also played more snaps (51% vs 49%).
- Diontae Johnson led the team in targets (13, 25%), but George Pickens had more receiving yards (83 versus 60) on 8 targets. Pickens has 71-plus receiving yards from Pickett in the last two games.
Next week: Bills visit Chiefs, Steelers host Buccaneers
Game 3 – Patriots 29, Lions 0
Fantasy takeaway: Rhamondre StevenSZN ate to the tune of 25 carries for a career-high 161 yards on a 90% snap share. Also added two catches for 14 yards. No other RB touched the ball in the second half. Damien Harris missed the entire second half (hamstring) and totaled just 6 snaps in the first half.
- Amon-Ra St. Brown was on a pitch count which resulted in just four catches for 18 yards in 6 targets. 32% snap share.
- Josh Reynolds took advantage, commanding 10 targets, six catches and 92 receiving yards. 91% snap share.
- Jakobi Meyers – 38% target share.
- Hunter Henry was also decent without Jonnu Smith (4-54 on 5 targets). Played nearly every down (98% snap share).
- Jamaal Williams totaled 15 carries for 56 scoreless yards on a 33% snap share.
Lions on Bye in Week 6, Patriots visit Browns
Game 4 – Chargers 30, Browns 28
Fantasy takeaway: David Njoku: The late-round tight end WE NEEDED. 6-for-6, 88 yards. YLTSI.
Mike Williams SMASH. 13 targets (39% target share). 10 catches for 134 yards. Narrowly missed on a TD.
The newfound consistency from Williams might falter slightly with Keenan Allen returning, but the BOOM weeks will still happen.
Also no guarantee how effective Allen will be coming off the injury
- Worth mentioning Joshua Kelley also earned 10 carries and scored.
- Saw two carries inside the 6-yard line. Sony Michel just one carry.
- Gerald Everett disappeared in Donald Parham‘s seasonal debut.
- Austin Ekeler…oh man. 173 rushing yards on 16 carries versus a struggling Browns run defense.
- Browns backfield split: Nick Chubb “just” 17 carries for 134 yards, 2 TDs. 1 target. 52% snap share.
- Kareem Hunt: 14 touches. One score and three catches. 57 yards. 49% snap share.
Next week: Chargers host Broncos, Browns host Patriots
Game 5 – Saints 39, Seahawks 32
Fantasy takeaway: Taysom Hill/Geno Smith/Kenneth Walker (8-88-1, 69-yd TD).
- Alvin Kamara 23-103-0 rushing, 6-91-0 receiving
- Tyler Lockett 5-104-2 on 6 targets
- Marquez Callaway played most snaps at WR (73%)
- After Penny left, rookie Ken Walker got the rushing workload including a 69-yard TD run. Finished with 88 rushing yards on just 8 carries. He was not-targeted. He’ll be a bellcow with Penny missing time. Faces Arizona and LA Chargers next two weeks. Juicy.
Next week: Saints host Bengals, Seahawks host Cardinals
Game 6 – Texans 13, Jaguars 6
Fantasy takeaway: Dameon Pierce getting FED. 29 TOUCHES. 84% opportunity share. 79% snap share. 26 carries for 99 yards. Also added 5 targets. Rex Burkhead had just three carries. Three targets.
- Gap is closing between Nico Collins and Brandin Cooks.
- Over the last month, Collins has more receiving yards than Cooks. Each saw 6 targets in Week 5.
- Second straight week that Travis Etienne and James Robinson split carries – 10 for each of them. But ETN was more efficient rushing for 71 yards to Robinson’s 27 yards. Etienne was also the more involved receiver, seeing 5 targets versus Robinson’s 2. And played a higher snap share (53% vs 40%)
- Christian Kirk saw just three targets and caught one pass for 11 yards. Chock it up to WR variance. Marvin Jones won’t see Kirk’s double-digit targets normally. He still earned a 96% snap share.
Texans on Bye in Week 6, Jaguars visit Colts
Game 7 – Titans 21, Commanders 17
Fantasy takeaway: Derrick Henry 28-102-2 rushing, RB (top-5) rest of season?
- Dyami Brown 2-105-2 on 4 targets, priority waiver add? Not so fast. 32% snap share.
- End of the line for Antonio Gibson. Three carries for 6 yards. 32% snap share
- Brian Robinson in his first game back totaled nine carries for 22 yards. 29% snap share
- Gibson also saw fewer targets than Jd Mckissic (7 vs 4).
- Robert Woods: 35% target share but just 37 yards on 4 catches.
Titans on Bye in Week 6, Commanders visit Bears
Game 8 – Vikings 29, Bears 22
Fantasy takeaway: David Montgomery returns from injury. Dalvin Cook finally scores.
The Vikings RB compiled 20 touches for 96 yards including 2 rushing TDs! Alexander Mattison was the more involved receiver (four vs 2 targets) and totaled 12 touches of his own. Cook played just 57% of the snaps while Mattison played 43%.
- Darnell Mooney made a SICK catch downfield. Too bad he plays for the Bears.
- David Montgomery came back (72% snap share) and put Khalil Herbert on the bench.
- Out-touched him 16-4. Montgomery did only rush for 20 yards on 12 carries, but posted 62 receiving yards on 4 catches. Also scored.
Next week: Bears host Commanders, Vikings visit Dolphins
Game 9 – Jets 40, Dolphins 17
Fantasy takeaway: Breece Hall takeover in full effect (18-97-1 rushing, 2-100-0 receiving, 69% snap share)
- Michael Carter 10-21-2
- Garrett Wilson 3-27-0 on 4 targets
- Raheem Mostert 18-113-1 on 69% snap share, where should he be ranked ROS? Chase Edmonds 1 for 1. Less than Myles Gaskin. Woof.
- Hard to take too much away from MIA passing game given QB situation
Next week: Dolphins host Vikings, Jets visit Packers
Game 10 – Buccaneers 21, Falcons 15
Fantasy takeaway: Tyler Allgeier 13-45-0, led backfield in carries and snaps (59%)
- Not many takeaways here. Most of the stars performed, not many surprises.
- Biggest performance was Fournette with 14-56-1 rushing and 10-83-1 on 11 targets receiving
- Rookie Cade Otton had 7 targets and six catches for 43 yards w/o Cameron Brate. 94% snap share.
- When does Atlanta move to Desmond Ridder?
Next week: Falcons host 49ers, Buccaneers visit Steelers
Sunday Late Afternoon Slate
Game 11 – 49ers 37, Panthers 15
Fantasy takeaway: Jeff Wilson 17-120-1 rushing, clear number 1 back in San Francisco. Tevin Coleman sprinkled in more with 8 carries for 23 yards. Also earned 3 targets to Wilson’s two targets.
- CMC 14-54-1 rushing. 7-50-0 on 12 targets receiving
- Weekly DJ Moore update: 4-59-0 on 8 targets
- Deebo Samuel led with a 30% target share – but just caught two passes for 20 yds. Also scored.
- Kittle 5-47-0 on 6 targets, how patient should managers be?
Next week: 49ers visit Falcons, Panthers visit Rams
Game 12 – Cowboys 22, Rams 10
Fantasy takeaway: Tony Pollard 8-86-1 (more yards on 8 carries than Zeke had on 22 (78 yards). Neither RB was targeted.
- CeeDee Lamb 5-53-0 (50% of team targets today)
- Cam Akers 13-33-0 (zero rushing attempts for Henderson)
- Henderson also saw more targets (5 vs 1) and played more snaps (57% vs 31%)
- Cooper Kupp 7-125-1 on 10 targets, Tyler Higbee also 10 targets.
- Allen Robinson – 3 catches for 12 yards on 5 targets, can be dropped in shallow leagues. Can’t even out-produce Ben Skowronek. Woof.
- Dalton Schultz (1 target, knee injury limited him to just 16% of snaps)
Next week: Cowboys visit Eagles, Rams host Panthers
Game 13 – Eagles 20, Cardinals 17
Fantasy takeaway: Jalen Hurts 26-of-36 for 239-0-0 passing, 15-61-2 rushing. Miles Sanders with top-tier usage. 15 carries to Kenneth Gainwell‘s 3.
Also added 3 targets for a 86% opportunity share
- Dallas Goedert 8-95-0 on 9 targets
- DeVonta Smith 10-87-0 on team-high 11 targets
- AJ Brown banged up? 3-32-0 on 7 targets
- Hollywood Brown 8-78-1 on 10 targets
- Eno Benjamin 8-25-1 rushing in relief of James Conner. Totaled 11 touches for 53 yards with Darrel Williams also banged up.
Next week: Eagles host Cowboys, Cardinals visit Seahawks
Game 14 – Bengals 17, Ravens 19
Fantasy takeaway: Hayden Hurst is a solid TE streamer. 6 for 53 and 1 TD with Tee Higgins sidelined early in. Ja’Marr Chase with just 50 receiving yards but a 35% target share.
- Tee Higgins barely played (16% snap share) while dealing with an ankle injury.
- 26% target share for Devin Duvernay without Rashod Bateman.
- Just 8 carries for JK Dobbins out of 14 total RB opportunities.
- Joe Mixon: 17 touches for 88 yards of offense.
Check out the rest of our weekly fantasy football advice
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Spotify | Google Podcasts | Stitcher | SoundCloud | iHeartRadio
If you want to dive deeper into fantasy football, check out our award-winning slate of Fantasy Football Tools as you navigate your season. From our Start/Sit Assistant – which provides your optimal lineup based on accurate consensus projections – to our Waiver Wire Assistant, which allows you to quickly see which available players will improve your team and how much – we’ve got you covered this fantasy football season.